Google sets new record, accounts for quarter of US internet traffic

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Pinga, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Wonder if that includes their ad servers.

3. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Say bye, bye to Internet anonymity. ;-)

Every site has google analytics. So google gathers data on users who aren't even using google services.

4. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Once I read a comment about Google: "Google is Skynet, once it becomes self-aware humanity is ****ed".

5. ploder

ploder Registered Member

Sounds about right. Ghostery (w/ ghost rank turned off of course) reports google analytics being blocked on pretty much all the sites I visit. So many damn scripts...

6. hidden

hidden Registered Member

Reading the links, I gather that G simply separates traffic directed to them at the ISP and puts it through its own network. This motivates the ISP because it saves them transmission costs on the backbone.

G also caches its most requested info at the ISP, again for less backbone traffic and quicker response.

What I'm trying to understand is, with my various G blockers in place (ABP, GShare, Jscript, etcetc) does my ISP interaction alone trigger the G eye?

For example, webmasters who use GA supposedly have some discretion about how much visitor info is sent to G, but they get deeper analysis if they allow more. (Laughter here)

I asked elsewhere on Wild, got no response, but maybe this thread will find it interesting. Delete this part if evil by rules:

My favorite news site just began delivering content through

static-serve.appspot.com

a Google app. Does this mean that every time I read the news I track into Google's database. (Assume I now block as much Google (GA, etc.) as I can.)

www.appspot.com

7. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I use noScripts add-on to block those damn google analytics scripts.

8. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Between all the ads, searching, YouTube, Docs, Gmail, and Lord knows what else, I can believe it.
    Heck, I noticed that XBMC connects to Google when it starts, for some reason.

What's kind of surprising is that it was only 6% in 2010, so there must be more to it than we realize. The rise of the Chrome browser probably accounts for some of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.