Google seems to be going downhill, but is it worth it to find alternatives?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I read this on Spybots homepage:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=news
    [Begin Quote]
    Update: I cannot recommend to use the Google search engine any more (seing how many pushed unwanted search results appear on nearly every common term, other search engines have become more efficient in my opinion anyway). Therefore I've written a small search plugin for Mozilla/Firebird/Firefox which allows to search through Altavista. My archive of search plugins can be downloaded here. Just unzip this file into your C:\Programme\mozilla.org\mozilla version\searchplugins\ folder.
    [End Quote]

This is sort of sad news because google seemed so good in the beginning. But i know exactly what they mean "push so many unwanted results" It is really annoying to get unwanted results, but when you get thirty of forty different links to the one marketing site for the same inquirey, that is rediculous. It used to be if you wanted to find information you could find it by doing a search on Google. Now, no matter what I type in virtually every result returned is essentially an advertisement to buy some product even if what I am searching for is simply an organization or definition.

The thing I dont really know is why. Is this the result of marketers somehow forcing all these links into google? Or is it that most users of google are just looking for ways to spend their money?

I remember when CD-ROMs came out and I was just dying to get one, because then I would have "an entire encyclopedia on a CD" In that same time frame I got several CDs on Animals, and art and history, a very good world atlas, and street atlas of all of North America, anatomy, medical diagnosis, ect...

Then the internet got to be a much better reference and started using Google and Yahoo and thought I had the world at my fingertips.

Now I feel like what i have is a gigantic spam generator! Is this the future of the internet?

Maybe I just need to find a new search engine?

- HandsOff

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My personal favorite for a long time has been DogPile, because it's a multi-engine searcher (including Google, of course, probably no way around that these days).

When I first found it, a year or two ago, it listed results separately for each engine, but now the default setup gives a single listing ordered by relevance, which makes it much easier to see duplicates. You can still set it to show separate results from each engine, if you like it better that way.

3. Shunned

Shunned Guest

PASTE FROM SPYBOT SITE:

"Also, if you were mislead to SpyHunter or SpyKiller through Google AdWords, please contact Google. Google promised me some weeks ago they wouldn't do any more advertisement on my trademarked name "spybot", but I again receive complaints that they do, and this struggle with Google is going on for 4 months now.

Update: I cannot recommend to use the Google search engine any more (seing how many pushed unwanted search results appear on nearly every common term, other search engines have become more efficient in my opinion anyway). Therefore I've written a small search plugin for Mozilla/Firebird/Firefox which allows to search through Altavista "

A PASTE from Altvista sit:

Sponsored Matches About
    <Spybot Spyware> - Free Scan
    Protect your PC from hidden spybots, spyware, adware, trojans, dialers and other malicious software. Lots of info and definitions. Download free scanner now. Partner.
    <spybot spyware com>

Stop Spyware with New <SpyHunter><Software
    Spybot> - Remove computer spyware, adware and other parasites. Scan your PC for free.
    <spyhunter heavysearch com>

Looks the same as whats being done at <google>

An within the <altavista> logo=

<http://a12.g.akamai.net/7/12/282/14/av.com/static/i/2/av3.gif>

so, six of one or half a doz of the other.
    Can understand Patrich's point. Just not sure if any real answer to the issue.

4. Shunned

Shunned Guest

MODERATORS: If its at all possible could you please remove my posts for this reason:

Would not want is said by the blackhats that "someone is referring anyone to a site that uses <akamai> We all know that IS NOT the truth......I like spybot and Pat very much...a wonderful product......

5. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Shun kick himself in buttocks

6. HandsOff

Thanks Mike, I have heard of dogpile before but have not tried it. I find personal recommendations by people who are good judges of programs to be more and more crucial.

I understand, i think. for a while i was referring to SS&D as "Spybots Search and Destroy by Patrick M. Kolla." I have personally been swept to the wrong site, as have others I know.

He probably would resist this move as megalomaniac - seeming, but I wish he would consider changing the name of Spybots Search and Destroy to something like "Patrick Kolla Antispy Program" Not as cool sounding but harder to confuse that way.

-Handsoff

7. P.T.

P.T. Registered Member

I too have had problems searching to find popular legitimate scum ware removal sites only to have to search though links to bogus sites that are trying to deceive you by sound alike names. It's frustrating to say the least.

8. HandsOff

The only thing that will neutralize those kind of sites, IMHO, are sites like this one. I used to sort of enjoy researching software. Reading reviews, and maybe downloading trial versions.

These days it seems to risky to me. Instead I prefer to go to a trusted sorce of information rather than have to guess what lies in store for me at an unfamiliar link.

It is just too easy to end up on a bad part of the web.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Alltheweb and dogpile are both pretty good. But I prefer alltheweb.

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Shunned,

We are not in the habit of removing posts unless it's a TOS violation. Would you like any part from your post bein removed? That can be done ;)

regards,

paul

11. Moore

Moore Registered Member

sorry had to add my 2¢, ive also done a bit of looking into these google sponsored ads , they are very misleading indeed.. but at least they stopped pushing the spybot rippoff ads, now its nod32 and adawares turn..

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=11043

12. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Yes Sir Mr Wilders,,,I would.

> > >An within the <altavista> logo=

<http://a12.g.akamai.net/7/12/282/14/av.com/static/i/2/av3.gif>< << (any mention of that company made by myself in previous posts)

As The poster I believe it violates TOS due to poorly used judgement on my part.... an displayed possible miss-leading inforamation

Thank You,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.