Google is torn on the topic of face recognition: to roll out, or not?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by snowdrift, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I really don't see the problem. I expect to be recognized when I "show my face" somewhere. I don't live under a rock, worrying that someone (or something) will recognize me.

Well, actually "I" do, if we're talking about "hierophant" etc. But that's simple: I'm never "hierophant" etc. IRL, and I never will be (unless I blow it).

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I see it as a BIG problem. To me, it's a giant step toward a truly "Brave New World."

4. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I say go for it Google. It's not like governments don't already have the technology, and I'm the paranoid kind that assumes that governments misuse this kind of stuff far worse than making it available to the average person.

5. LockBox

Enriched uranium at WalMart, anyone? The dangers of this kind of thing is, to me, beyond even logical discussion. Obviously, there are some who feel different. But if you take personal privacy seriously, I fail to understand how you could see this type of thing, in use by the general public, as being a good thing. I can see many ways it could be abused and used for unseemly purposes. Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be.

6. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I won't dignify the Uranium analogy with a comment, we're talking about data. A more apropos analogy would be something like telephone books, or reverse directories or even maps. Sure, all those things can be abused, but I would rather have them available to anyone than to have them solely in the control of the government.

7. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Upon reflection, I agree that the implications are mind boggling, especially given the ubiquity of cameras in public and at home. We'll be living in a global small town. Actually, FWIW, I do live in a very small town. I have received mail lacking any street address, because I'm the only "Smith" in town. I could probably get mail with no name, just my photo :blink:

8. LockBox

About the bolded portion above: I was just kidding. I understand your point of view, but this kind of thing goes far beyond your analogy of telephone books, etc. Being able to track down information on a person with a photograph, and possibly take you to him or her, is a world I don't want to live in.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Presumably, our masters are exempt.

Some are more equal than others, after all.

What if ... or when ... private/government databases are shared/leaked/sold/stolen.

Just because you once registered for a passport or drivers' license doesn't mean you don't mind having that data on the internet !

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It is so dangerous.

What are the proposed measures for limiting the amount of damage that can be done?
    I know people that would use such a service, were it available without restriction, to make peoples lives a living hell.
    This would give harrassment a whole new weapon.

11. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Yes i agree!!

Anyone who doesnt care about privacy is really messed up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.