Google is blocked? Still?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by siameseretriever, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siameseretriever

siameseretriever Registered Member

OK, I am new to ESET, but not forums. I see that google has been a problem before, and I am having it now. I can't connect to google.com, or gmail.com, with the firewall active. I am running Version 4.2.67.10, Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I generally use Thunderbird to access my email, hotmail and gmail. I have issues with those as well with the firewall turned on.

I am sure there is an easy fix, but I could not find it in the forums so far. I have attached a copy of my firewall log from this AM. I am also having problems with cache poisoning attempts, which appear to be easily fixable, but I need some hand holding on that as well.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. siameseretriever

I followed your instructions, and google.com is still blocked. I can get to other web sites just fine. IMDB is another one that is blocked. Redtube works fine, though.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong! I appreciate the quick response.

New log attached

Attached Files:

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. siameseretriever

I forgot to add that I can't access google.com from my Windows XP box either, if that makes a difference. I can post the logs from that one if it will help.

6. siameseretriever

That does not work either.

Attached Files:

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

8. siameseretriever

OK, that seems to have solved the problem, but is it the permanent fix? It seems that I am allowing attacks after the first detection?

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please clear the firewall log, restart the computer, reproduce the problem and post the current log here.

10. siameseretriever

Done. Attached is a copy of the log.

I am not a tech guy, but I am able to figure stuff out on my won most of the time. That said, I am trying to explain this properly.

As I was poking around, I figured out that the SBC DNS servers appear to be causing the problem. They are giving different addresses for google, and causing the DNS poisoning issue. I changed to openDNS on one machine, and the problem went away entirely. I am able to leave the firewall setting for Block unsafe address after attack deletion checked, and I am able to reach google. I have not changed the other computers to openDNS yet, as I want to confirm that the problem really is the DNS servers. I can't change them in my SBC provided modem.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.