Google is blocked? Still?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by siameseretriever, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siameseretriever

    siameseretriever Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Posts:
    6
    OK, I am new to ESET, but not forums. I see that google has been a problem before, and I am having it now. I can't connect to google.com, or gmail.com, with the firewall active. I am running Version 4.2.67.10, Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

    I generally use Thunderbird to access my email, hotmail and gmail. I have issues with those as well with the firewall turned on.

    I am sure there is an easy fix, but I could not find it in the forums so far. I have attached a copy of my firewall log from this AM. I am also having problems with cache poisoning attempts, which appear to be easily fixable, but I need some hand holding on that as well.

    Thanks!
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Cudni

    Cudni Global Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Posts:
    6,956
    Location:
    Somethingshire
  3. siameseretriever

    siameseretriever Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Posts:
    6
    I followed your instructions, and google.com is still blocked. I can get to other web sites just fine. IMDB is another one that is blocked. Redtube works fine, though.

    I am not sure what I am doing wrong! I appreciate the quick response.

    New log attached
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Cudni

    Cudni Global Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Posts:
    6,956
    Location:
    Somethingshire
  5. siameseretriever

    siameseretriever Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Posts:
    6
    I forgot to add that I can't access google.com from my Windows XP box either, if that makes a difference. I can post the logs from that one if it will help.
     
  6. siameseretriever

    siameseretriever Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Posts:
    6
    That does not work either.
     

    Attached Files:

  7. Cudni

    Cudni Global Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Posts:
    6,956
    Location:
    Somethingshire
  8. siameseretriever

    siameseretriever Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Posts:
    6
    OK, that seems to have solved the problem, but is it the permanent fix? It seems that I am allowing attacks after the first detection?
     
  9. Marcos

    Marcos Eset Staff Account

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Posts:
    14,408
    Please clear the firewall log, restart the computer, reproduce the problem and post the current log here.
     
  10. siameseretriever

    siameseretriever Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Posts:
    6
    Done. Attached is a copy of the log.

    I am not a tech guy, but I am able to figure stuff out on my won most of the time. That said, I am trying to explain this properly.

    As I was poking around, I figured out that the SBC DNS servers appear to be causing the problem. They are giving different addresses for google, and causing the DNS poisoning issue. I changed to openDNS on one machine, and the problem went away entirely. I am able to leave the firewall setting for Block unsafe address after attack deletion checked, and I am able to reach google. I have not changed the other computers to openDNS yet, as I want to confirm that the problem really is the DNS servers. I can't change them in my SBC provided modem.
     

    Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.