Google faces deluge of requests to wipe details from search index

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dermot7, May 15, 2014.

1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

The American google seems to work now (no redirect), but in the past it has inconveniently redirected me to the country specific google matching the IP of my VPN or Tor exit node, and I've had to jump through hoops to get an English version of it.

2. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

Going to 'google.com/ncr' maybe is one option.
    also can use goole.com/?hl=en

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Disconnect Search has a nation setting.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have never realized, that there are so many morons, but at least now, Google know, who they are. And Google will remember them forever. :shifty:

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I added /ncr to google.com for my home page in Chrome, however when I did a search on a website I noticed it redirected to my country ( re: as displayed in the address bar). Typing in /ncr for every URL I visit would drive me nuts.

I had to install the chrome extension 'no country redirect'. That worked. NB: you can toggle if you want the country redirect at any time.

6. MrBrian

From Rights That Are Being Forgotten: Google, the ECJ, and Free Expression:

7. MrBrian

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Google and EU debate on implementation of "right to be forgotten"
    http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=17170

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Google has already hidden as many as 100,000 search results in Europe
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/25/5...en-tens-of-thousands-search-results-in-europe

10. MrBrian

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Maybe Google could just shut down all of its operations in the EU, and totally cut off the EU from access, except through VPNs, of course. Then there would be no jurisdiction, right? And it'd be good for the VPN sector :)

That's basically what they did with China, right?

12. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

The difference is that China expected Google to do what they did (these guys are not stupid). This way they got to impose their home version of Google on their people and show that they had the might to kick the big bad American company in the OOs. Google did the right thing with China. Also, they had to appeal the EU ruling as a matter of process. Google will probably lose the appeal because of the power of this court. Then they can let lose with their contingency plan ... exactly what mirimir suggests. No jurisdiction is correct. The EU will be chasing ghosts when it happens. The VPN sector should start gearing up, business is going to soar.

13. mirimir

In the US, for example, some states have forced Amazon to charge sales tax to their residents, even though Amazon had no local physical presence. However, as I recall, California backed down when Amazon threatened to move out ;) But I doubt that there's anything in international law that would support that. Anyone know?

14. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Good luck explaining to your shareholders the motifs for leaving your biggest market.

15. mirimir

You have a point. However, Google is so much better than its competition that EU residents will just figure out how to use VPNs ;)

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

17. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Yes, it will be good for a free VPN service that will serve ads or track your searches/traffic. The majority will change to whatever search engine will be still available. A few will trade their privacy... if you actually think that the market share they have now will follow them, I have a nice beach to sell you in Africa.

18. mirimir

It's a tough call. If Google folds to the EU, they look more vulnerable. What then would prevent others from making similar demands?

Also, what good is web search that doesn't show what's there? If Google folds, the future belongs to someone who figures out how to be untouchable ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  19. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

The best solution would be to impeach every judge on that court and curb its powers. Brussels has been silent on this case and has shown a distinct lack of oversight. MS has volunteered to do exactly what the court has ruled, so that has put Google in an even worse position. Europeans can have Bing lite ... yea! Google has a two fold decision to make, 1. Financial 2. Ethical. when they lose the appeal. Is Mozilla in on the decision? Wonder which one they will chose :doubt:.

20. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

21. mirimir

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

23. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30212927

24. mirimir

Someone needs to inform the EU that it doesn't own the Internet. Maybe Google has some pull with the NSA ;) Or whatever, they could just cut off the EU entirely.

25. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Someone should tell Google the same thing. They seem to think they own the web.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.