Google Declares Complete Privacy Does Not Exist

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dw426, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

1. Well, no kidding.

2. It gets better. The reason they are saying this is because they are being sued for 25,000 dollars in damages by a couple whose house is visible in Google Street View. The couple claim having this happen caused them "mental anguish" and property value reduction.

Of course this is an American couple, lol. And since it's America, you can rest assured this thing will make it to a judge, and, since it's America, I can't promise these nutjobs won't lose their case. I mean really folks, mental anguish because the OUTSIDE of your house is visible on the internet? Not you, but your house?! Just in case these idiots are Wilders members (stretch, I know)....why the hell are you suing a multibillion dollar company for 25k? Is your lawyer THAT retarded?

*sigh* Anyway folks, the comic strip for the day is here: http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007374.html

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

$25,000 must be the amount that they believe that their property has depreciated from being exposed on Google Satellite. :D

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Last year I noticed the roof of my house and my garden was clearly visable on Google. Since discovering this, property prices in my region have dropped by about 3%. Some argue its because of the global credit crunch, but I suggest its all due to Google and their evil photo taking.

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Does this mean that if your property was shown on the newpaper or local media, then your property value would dropo_O?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

If they manage to win this case then logically it could be argued that it would in my opinion. I mean, what truly is the difference? Google Street View in my mind can be considered "media" if you believe that pictures are a form of media. I'm not one to completely back Google for their privacy practices, and I don't consider their satellite imagery program to be entirely safe from a national security standpoint (not just U.S but all countries) in my opinion, but the reason behind this lawsuit is completely bogus and I have no choice but to side with Google on this.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

While I agree that it all seems silly, the legal question, besides the one about privacy, is of trespassing, according to their lawsuit thus why the court will hear this case, unless Google settles first. Their lawsuit states that "there is a clearly marked 'Private Road' sign."

Once you look at the pictures, you can see that the Google vehicle drove "down the gravel path and onto the paved driveway" and perhaps their property line starts where the paved driveway begins. That's where the trespassing charge might come from.

What I don't get is that the first Smoking Gun article shows a different home than the second? Hope they got the right evidence photos attached to the lawsuit because a miscue like that, will end this case in a heartbeat.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You're right, that's a completely different property. But what I and the judge want to see is this alleged Private Road sign in the photos. There is some kind of sign in one, but it is a side view, not showing what the sign says. . If true, the trespassing argument may indeed work, but 25,000 dollars I don't think they will get for a simple trespass charge on non-government property. Besides, that lawsuit does NOT contain a count of trespassing, simply invasion of privacy (and yes, technically there is a difference), negligence, and conversion. The privacy count is the only one listed that makes any sense whatsoever. Their "mental anguish" can be fixed with a good dose of Lithium, which is exactly what these people need for coming up with such a lame excuse to sue.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I began indecided, a bit on google's side, but then i realized they invaded private property, taken pictures, and put them online.

Sorry, it has to be illegal.

No one was hurt etc., but if you want to set a rule, you have to start here. Or it gets messy to find the limits.

I don't comment on the specifics of their claims, but i believe in common sense.
    Sure, outside private property, you can take pictures, of streets and houses. But you should not be able to drive through private property (when it's obvious or has a sign)... to take pictures, AND post them online.

Personally, i wouldn't sue, just demand the pictures taken offline. But they (Google) can't do this, if i got the facts straight.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

dw426, the math is clear (at least to me):

mental anguish + $25,000 + a lawsuit win = the driveway can be paved all the way to the street!

;) LOL

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree with your general idea about private property, but again, where is this sign at? The pictures I've seen do not show a specific sign stating this. There are quite a few places around here that have long, out of the way driveways and secluded houses on roads that are NOT designated as private property (I'm being a stickler, I know). And I still think there needs to be an actual count of trespassing listed on the document for that argument to be introduced, yet I see no such count.

@Jrviejo: I agree, this is no more than a quick cash scheme and a chance to be put in the spotlight for a few minutes by going up against a giant.

11. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I suspect bringing this claim is not quite consistent with keeping a low profile / private life o_O

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Indeed :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.