Google Chrome

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kalisun, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalisun

kalisun Registered Member

Hey all,

I read somewhere that Chrome has some sort of built in sandboxie from greenborders. Does any one have any experiences with it and if it works/secure as sandboxie? Would using Chrome be as safe as if you were using FF and Sandboxie?

Thanks!

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

There are some threads on Chrome's sandbox, you can search the forum in this section. The Sandbox is not a virtualisation sandbox like Sandboxie, but more a policy sandbox. So even when Chrome runs with Admin rights, the rendering engine of each tab is sandboxed, meaning it is not allowed to write to C:\Windows and Programs Files and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive of the registry. So each tab basiccally runs as a Limited User (compare it with the Protected Mode of IE when you have Vista and UAC on).

Discussion on what is the safest browser will evoke a lot of different opinions, facts and fairy tales references.

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I like the speed of Chrome and the policy based sandbox, but it is too featureless. I wish they incorporate some extensions and the Google toolbar into the browser. So it isn't overkill to use Chrome and Sandboxie together?

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks for the info Kees.

Do you know if running a portable version of the program, makes a difference, for example, limits its policy type sandbox, or it should behave in exactly the same way as the standard chrome install?

5. progress

progress Guest

So Firefox + LUA is the same? o_O

6. Kees1958

for 95% on XP, for 99% on Vista, something to do with the moment of intervention.

7. Kees1958

When having other security software, I like the portable versions, because they are easier to setup. I have seen no differences in protection

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Which features are you after, exactly?

9. progress

progress Guest

Thank you kees :)

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is true, at first it feels like a spartan browser, but the more I use it (totally addicted to it actually) the more I find that it has what's needed.

12. Kees1958

Osaban,

Exactly what I have goe through, first : WTF where is every thing to last: what a smart slender but functional design

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

A well-hidden feature of Chrome is that it's supported user javascriptlets (a la Greasemonkey) since version 1, which brings a lot of extra functionality to Chrome. An extensions system is also in the works and available for developer testing, and since it's Javascript-based as well hopefully porting Adblock won't take too long.

14. kalisun

kalisun Registered Member

thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.