Google Chrome overtakes Internet Explorer as the Web’s most used browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. guest

guest Guest

Cool efforts, but the problem is, are them effective? In the end, what we really know is that StatCounter's methodology by its very nature is more susceptible to bot attacks and inexplicable jumps in market share that don't represent the true nature of the market.

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

You probably prefer Net Applications because it favours Internet Explorer.

Anyways none of them are completely free from manipulations or fully accurate.

Some people lives for statistics, even if its flawed, beats feeling like you in the dark.

Link that might interest some;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#Summary_table

In any case, people should try to understand the pros and cons in the manner the statistics are made. In the end you'll have to decide which seems more believable.

The one thing that I don't favour with Net Applications, it does unique visitor count. And it almost seems to be the least preferred way. And understandably I can understand why. Such reasons listed on StatCounter FAQs: Why do you base your stats on page views rather than unique visitors? - http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#page-views-uniques

Take it as a grain of salt, ... but “there are many limitations, difficulties and uncertainties with regard to unique visitors”.

Bottom portion of StatCounter FAQs: Why do you base your stats on page views rather than unique visitors?

Do you define a unique visitor based on cookies? How do you handle browsers which don't allow cookies? In this case, each page view is counted as a unique. Or do you use IP address? How do you handle dynamic IPs (such as AOL) where the IP changes with every page view? In this case, each page view is again counted as a unique.

There are also difficulties with deciding how often/when to include the stats for a particular unique visitor.

What is the return period for a unique visitor? Do you reset the counters after 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours? Do you count each time a unique visitor visits any site in your network? Or do you only count one unique visit to any site in the network per day? What if the same person uses multiple browsers?

Due to the above uncertainties, no service can provide stats based solely on unique visitors. Instead, the stats will be based on a mixture of page views and uniques. We made a conscious decision not to introduce that inconsistency into our figures hence our use of page views as the basis of our stats.”

Anyways this is my last attempt to help you understand my preference. ;)

4. guest

guest Guest

You are only repeating yourself.

Here is one of the biggest reasons why I don't trust in StarCounter's methodology to be representative of the global usage:

First and foremost, the most populous country in the world, China, doesn’t make the top 20 for StatCounter, when in fact it represents the world’s largest internet population.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I liked the StatCounter findings that open source browser usage tends to rise during weekends and holidays. That implies something, doesn't it?

As for China, LOL!

6. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

Can everyone agree that both of these collation methods are highly dubious?

7. guest

guest Guest

That IE is even more successful in enterprises?

What's really funny in the link? Steve Ballmer? He appears to be a very sympathetic and funny person, "very energetic and exuberant persona". I tend to appreciate his public speeches and performances, lol.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Internet Explorer.
    What people use to download a better browser. :p

9. guest

guest Guest

Fixed it for you: "Internet Explorer. What a few people use to download a "better" browser."

No need to fix this one: "Internet Explorer. What mostly people use to download everything."

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Talking about persona: -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc- and it is available in HTML5 :)

11. guest

guest Guest

Epic great performance. lol

It became a viral, of course it's available in HTML5!

12. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Successful in that no one has any choice but to use it lol

13. guest

guest Guest

Choices in enterprises environments are supposed to be made by the appropriate departments.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

lol if you believe that

15. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

IMHO what matters is NOT popularity in a browser but effectiveness and the one that is MOST secure as it is the primary application we all use to access the evil WWW.

For me (not anybody else)

1) I want to know if the settings ask me to grant a browser powers I don't want to give it.

2) hooking, process termination, keyboard logging, screen and clip board logging, nasty protocols I hate.

3) Can I turn on anti tracking services?

4) Does it ask for raw socket access?

5) Can I block certain sites and force https on it?

6) Does it have a solid digital signature for the install?

This is a partial list.

You know it might be best to use the least popular browser. Less interesting target.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Google-releases-security-update-for-Chrome-19-1583427.html

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Which browser is that though exactly?

17. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I don't know! I wish I did!:doubt:

Maybe someone like Stem could tell us which browser meets his criteria for security and effectiveness.

In the past, I have used 3 browsers and all have irritated me,

1) IE x
    2) FF y
    3) Safari z

My comment on use least popular was just my usual :rolleyes: comment on the use of polls from biased sources to make technical decisions.

Maybe if every wilders member donated $1 we could contract out the building of a good solid browser. Agreeing the specs would take a year minimum!:eek:

Agreeing the name of our browser would take another year!

18. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

who use IE anyway? :D

19. guest

guest Guest

The majority of Internet

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

people at work who have no other choice? :p

people who don't know how to install a browser? ;)

21. guest

guest Guest

people who like/prefer IE? :isay:

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

People who use IE because it comes with the OS, and they don't know any better? :)

23. guest

guest Guest

Unlikely. Google makes sure that pretty much everyone knows about Chrome (even if it's regarded only as a new colorful icon in desktop/taskbar by many). Not that Chrome is better than IE, btw. :thumbd:

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2012
  24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

We're going nowhere fast.

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

We've been going there for a page or more.

Here, let's end it with a quick summary:

1. StatCounter doesn't use the most reliable methods.

2. Any of these types of "counts" are subject to criticism and flaws, and should therefore be used as an informational guide and not the Bible.

3. Some folks love certain browsers/companies to the extent that getting in an argument with them is surely to only bring failure and headache.

Think we can put this to bed now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.