Google Chrome overtakes Internet Explorer as the Web’s most used browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Are you serious? Are you making conclusions about the promotion based on that link? This is not a conclusive prove of anything, at best it is a weak indication that could be totally wrong! It has even less value than several random anonymous people reporting about their personal experiences with the promotion (like the ones I quoted in the relevant thread).

Oh, my. Is it an unethical behavior? Does that make me some kind of criminal? Am I violating some unknown rule? If you think so, please, use the report button asap!

BTW, just for the fun, I found a post where I criticized Microsoft. lol

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Uhhh that post is not the best example of you criticizing MS lol

3. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, I can think about other examples. I'm usually very critical when it comes to Windows Vista. I had horrible experiences with it.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

That's one link that shows how a lot of people were involved in the promo just to exchange a cheap phone for a gift card. I'm sure there are other sources as well. But it is probably not worth anyone's time or effort to find them because you would just argue about how MS is perfect and everyone is just making irrational assumptions to believe otherwise.

Did I say you were involved in criminal behavior? I said you were pro-Microsoft, no matter the discussion was about. Just before my post you indicated that you just post about MS so often because the company is in the news every day. Now you seem to be saying you are pro-MS. It's one thing to be pro-MS no matter what...it's another to be pro-MS no matter what and deny it. As I said in a prior post, you can certainly post as you wish. You can start a million threads a day about how great Microsoft is, if you like. But your credibility takes a hit when your underlying agenda is simply to push Microsoft products which is what you have been doing for months.

5. guest

guest Guest

If a few people exchanged a cheap phone for a gift card, then that suddenly means that everyone involved in the promo did that? What a weird (and wrong) extrapolation.

Well, I for one would like to see more sources (better ones, please). I think this is a very interesting matter.

I don't have any agenda, I do post about what I find interesting. I don't work for Microsoft, lol. But I suppose yes, I'm a bit enthusiastic when it comes to Microsoft. I think that the generalized anti-microsoft hate/bias exhibited by some people is a very unpleasant (and unhealthful) thing, so I fight it whenever possible.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It may not mean automatically that "anything he says (is) less correct" but it's certainly possible, in general (so this, I hope, should not be construed as a personal attack on a forum member), to cause harm by hiding other aspects and presenting always a favorable aspect.

7. guest

guest Guest

I don't hesitate to talk about negative aspects whenever I think they are relevant and true.

8. Hungry Man

I don't really think it's detrimental. As long as there are users to call other users out on ******** it all evens out. I posted a bias article, someone corrected it, we all win.

9. acr1965

Did I say everyone involved in the promo did that? Why is it that you can only think in extremes?

It's interesting that you start your paragraph stating that you don't have any agenda. Yet, you end your paragraph claiming to have one: fighting off unhealthy anti-microsoft hate/bias (whenever possible). Denial is not your friend.

10. guest

guest Guest

You said it in this very thread:

"The numbers reflect a bunch of throw away phones exchanged for $25 gift cards." ~acr1965

This is, of course, a false and bad extreme simplification because the numbers reflect much more than that. Can't you accept this?

Maybe it's an agenda, I just don't see it as one. I prefer to call it a habit or a behavior.

Either way, this is a quite different "agenda" from the one you were talking about:

"...your underlying agenda is simply to push Microsoft products which is what you have been doing for months."
    ~acr1965

vs

"...But I suppose yes, I'm a bit enthusiastic when it comes to Microsoft. I think that the generalized anti-microsoft hate/bias exhibited by some people is a very unpleasant (and unhealthful) thing, so I fight it whenever possible." ~guest

"...I post about things of my interest. Microsoft-related news/articles happen to be one of those things. And Microsoft is in the news everyday!" ~guest

11. acr1965

You are making an assumption it is false and making an assumption that "it is much more than that". I said the numbers reflect a bunch of throw away phones in exchange for $25 gift cards...which is exactly what many (if not most) of the people on slickdeals were writing about doing. If those people writing about that were being honest about exchanging crap phones for gift cards, then the numbers MS posted would be reflected in that regard. But MS posted as if they beat any and all phones available, come one, come all.
    A "habit or a behavior" that considers any criticism of MS as an attack that needs fought off is probably not so much an agenda but more of a trait of extremism. That kinda makes sense considering most of your points are examples of extremes. There's really no use continuing this discussion.

12. guest

guest Guest

Well, I base my assumptions in the promotion's results, in people's commentaries in news sites and in several videos you can find in YouTube with people getting their high end Androids and iPhones "beaten" in speed tests for devices running Windows Phone OS, in this promotion.. do a search: smoked by windows phone videos

"We offered Android fans $100 if their smartphones are faster at everyday things, like searching for a restaurant and getting directions." ~Microsoft

That "habit or behavior" you described doesn't apply to me. I already told what I think that really applies. I don't consider "any" criticism as an attack. You took the wrong impression, maybe you are the one "exacerbating" things... think about it! ;)

Probably, but that's a bit irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  13. Hungry Man

Take the discussion to the phone topic IMO it's not really relevant at all to Chrome lol

14. guest

guest Guest

acr1965 started this and I accept that I'm guilty in putting fuel. I would be glad if some mod moves these off-topic posts to the appropriate thread.

15. Hungry Man

I don't really care much but I might join that conversation later and I'd rather it be done in that topic where information is already posted.

16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yet, many, like myself found it to be fine.

17. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi,

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

I don't know if it already has been said, sort-of lost interest in reading further when the topic started going off-topic ..or at least when it became about phones. And apologies in advanced, I'm not sure if I'm repeating things, I am responding from what I have read here late last-night.

StatCounter does adjust browser stats for prerendering/pre-loading as of, wait for it, ... from 1 May 2012. :) ( more on that by visiting http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#prerendering )

StatCounter address geo-weighting with the CIA data here - http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#cia-data-weighting

StatCounter FAQs: Page Views versus Uniques; Net Apps base their stats on unique visitors per site per day. ("We 'count' unique visitors to our network sites, and only count one unique visit to each network site per day.") We base our stats on page views - here's why (visit the following link.)
    - StatCounter FAQs: Why do you base your stats on page views rather than unique visitors? - http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#page-views-uniques

StatCounter FAQs: Why are your numbers different to Net Applications? - http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#methodology

Just pointing one thing out from the previous link;
    - (StatCounter) Browser stats - IE Bundled with other browsers
    Net Apps state that they bundle IE with other unrelated browsers. ("Internet Explorer usage share includes third party browsers such as Maxthon and Lunascape with Trident rendering engine") We don't. We separately track and report IE, Maxthon and Lunascape.

Off-topic... when it was just Vista I used and loved it, of course its bulky and had some serious issues that was later addressed with the release of SP1. Now I'm with Windows 7 and I'm loving it, but I wouldn't switch back to Vista. :p

18. Daveski17

Oddly, there is no known instance recorded of Disraeli ever stating or writing that. ;)

I'm with you on these perpetually posted statistics though. They're so much of a yawn. I mean, honestly, who cares? LOL

Much as I love Win 7 on my 64 bit PC, I have never even contemplated upgrading my Vista notebook to 7.

19. Phant0m

20. Daveski17

Yes, but just because it's on the Internet, doesn't make it true. That goes for browser 'statistics' as well! LOL

Yes, I know. I tend to think it was Walter Bagehot in his 'The English Constitution'. I don't have a copy on-hand to prove this particular theory though.

21. guest

guest Guest

If StatCounter really started to remove prerendering (see: www.netmarketshare.com/prerendering.aspx ), their use of all page views rather than unique browsers still skews the results, as does the lopsided geographical representation. Along with other imperfections.

See:
    http://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx#Methodology
    http://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx#Vary
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404714,00.asp

"...We also maintain close working relationships with most of the major Internet technology providers, allowing us to work through any data that may appear to be anomalous with the providers..." ~ NetApplications

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  22. Phant0m

You mean 'unique visitors'?

I personally think StatCounter way is a more accurate way in regards to basing stats on page views rather than unique visitors... for reasons listed on StatCounter FAQs page, ... like;

"Person X uses two browsers. On a particular day, they load one page in Browser A. They load 500 pages in Browser B.

If we based our stats on unique visitors then usage of Browser A and B would both be recorded as 50%. This is obviously incorrect. This does not fairly represent the usage of the browsers given that Browser B was used 500 times more than browser A.
    "

23. guest

guest Guest

"...we do so to provide a more accurate picture of market share showing the number of users of a technology instead of the number of clicks. Counting unique visitors also renders bots designed to influence market share harmless. Counting pageviews for market share reports would be susceptible to bot attacks and inexplicable jumps in market share that don't represent the true nature of the market." ~NetApplications

Taken from: http://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx#Unique

24. Phant0m

25. Phant0m

"We make every effort to eliminate bot activity. We identify bots and prevent them from being recorded in our stats. We also monitor multiple key metrics in order to identify any potential problems with our data. We maintain communications with many of the main technology providers and we reserve a 14 day window to revise stats if/when necessary. In the event of a change or revision being required we flag this on our graphs by way of a note." ;)

Taken from: Do bots influence your stats? - http://gs.statcounter.com/faq#bots

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.