Google Chrome New Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kas, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Damn it fellers, I used the "search" function again, put in "Google" and just about everything but came out. So here is my thread.

I have just discovered Google Chrome the new browser from Googies. OK I may be months behind the times, but I just like feeling younger.

Can I please ask everybody with some knowledge of this new browser to come in with their personal reviews and experiences.

Like most other users am very interested indeed, but having stepped on a few mines in the past, I am naturally very cautious.

I have not downloaded it yet and will await all your comments before doing so. That is the purpose of this thread.

A few basic questions ;-
    My primary browser is and will still be IE7.

Can I download GC and use it as a Second/Alternative browser only, manually selecting from a desktop icon ?

Will GC import all my data and personal settings from IE including Favorites etc. without affecting IE operation or resulting in IE data loss or malfunction. ?

Will all my security programs automatically cover GC without loss of protection or program conflict ? If not, GC is no use to me.

Bottom line ;- Is GC completely compatible with ALL other commonly used programs we have installed for our net surfing ?

ETC. guys.

I hope there is a great response to this issue and await your valued information, experiences and personal viewpoints.
    KAS
    :argh:

2. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Google chrome is a decent browser and it seems to import the bookmarks from IE7.

I find that it does not render all webpages correctly but for most websites it works fine.

The one feature i miss in google chrome is the ability to erase the temporary files,cookies and form data while exiting automatically.

It has a faster feel while surfing javascript heavy websites.

3. ashishtx

I forgot to mention that it does not interfere with any other program and is pretty much harmless to other programs.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I didn't care for it because it just didn't seem as flexible to me as FF or IE. Plus, from what I've seen, when Chrome wants to update, it will. Which would be disastrous for me (I'm on slooooow dialup.)

I much prefer (1) Firefox or (2) IE8 (I'm really liking IE8!) For a third choice, I've testing QTWeb. Reminds me a little of Chrome's modern looks and it's fast. A big plus for me is that it's fully portable by design.
    http://www.qtweb.net/

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Search on "chrome" (without the quotation marks), and click "Show results as Posts" -- you will get LOTS of Google Chrome information.

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

7. ashishtx

I think IE8 is a good upgrade to IE7. I am using IE8 as my primary browser.
    The ability to get rid of temporary files automatically is the feature i was looking forward to in IE and IE8 added it. Firefox has that feature since ages.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Use incognito-mode which you can set-up permanently and you can also "Unchrome" Chrome ;) .

9. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Yeah, but does "UnChrome" get rid of that Google Updater?

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would upgrade your IE7 to IE8 as soon as possible for one thing.

Yes, you can just download Chrome and use as a 2nd alternative browser.

Yes, Chrome will import your IE bookmarks etc. Other settings I think not.

Whether your security programs will cover Chrome or not depends on those apps. Some will, perhaps some won't (web scanners for example may not all handle Chrome, depends on how they operate, but most should if they scan all port 80 traffic). I don't think you'll see any conflicts with other apps and Chrome.

Chrome is fast and pretty simple and nice. Still some issues, and not overly configurable yet, but it's fun to use. If you worry about privacy issues then others have recommended Iron also.

I'd give it a try and see what you think. :thumb:

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I tried Chrome back in October, and gave it up after a week because I was homesick for Firefox. I just tried the un Chrome Iron and got fed up in a day. Am I stupid or is there no instructions in the Iron version? I couldn't find them. :p

12. progress

progress Guest

Is there no option to edit these update settings?

Next question: Where is the "home" button in Chrome? :oops:

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The updater runs as a scheduled task, which you can disable/remove from the Control Panel.

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Click on the wrench icon, go to Options, and tick "Show Home button on the toolbar".

15. progress

progress Guest

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.