Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

"Sheesh weather extensions, LOL..."

Well, this is 'other software & services' LOL! :D

Talking of security, why doesn't Chrome Flags by josorek work?

It's a shame as I have only just discovered this on Firefox. Unfortunately Geotol is having some problems at the moment, possibly from Russian spammers or something (see Flagfox forums).

2. Daveski17

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts and Responses. Let's stick to the subject Google Chrome extensions and not bash each other. Thanks!

4. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

One other approach to blocking cookies (blacklist approach) is to manually change the Preferences file and add a list of domains to block cookies for. I'm slowly doing it, for the fun of it. lol

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I generally take Reimer's word for anything Chrome-related but you can go through this as one example.

Even for those who are not IT professionals, it is pretty clear that Chrome has kept a tight grip on things relative to Firefox which prevents facile "porting" of extensions from FF to Chrome.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The extension's author has mentioned that limitation. Even then the simpler spoofing by using the command line switch helps in quite a few cases. One person claims to have used the extension on Ubuntu successfully!

8. Daveski17

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

10. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I have to ditch vanilla cookie white list manager too because it did not worked as expected. After few days, it totally forgot my login info (via cookie) and I have to enter logins at each visit as before.

11. Sadeghi85

I use built-in content blocking on Chrome 8, it's better than any extension, ads are mostly no problem because most of them need JavaScript to load and it's blocked by default, so no need for an ad blocker. The down side is there is no "temporary allow" setting and most extension don't work without JavaScript.

Figuring out if a site needs Cookie to function properly is a lot easier compared to Cookie Monster on Firefox though.

12. Jav

Jav Guest

Don't have chrome 8 right now, so can't he sure.
    But wasn't there option to temporarly allow this page. Look at the rift side of the address bar. If browser blocks something (cookie, pop-up, plugins, javsciprt) it will show an icon according to what was blocked.
    You can click on it and as far as I can remember it will present you with an option to temporarly allow the page to load whatever was blocked.
    It may also be called something like "allow whatever this time"

13. Sadeghi85

I get this:
    JavaScript.PNG

:doubt:

PS. I'm using 8.0.559.0 Dev, what version has the temporarily allow option?

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

See where the star is on the right hand side inside the address bar? Depending on what you have blocked (cookies, pop-ups, plug-ins, etc), a tiny symbol will appear next to or near the star. It will have a red X over it. If you single-click on this symbol, you may see what you are asking about.

If nothing is blocked on the page, no symbol crossed with a red X should be present.

15. Sadeghi85

:blink:

I did that in the screenshot above, I just don't see any 'temporarily allow' or 'allow this time' option...

16. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Any extension for chrome like firefox's febe ?

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You can disable Javascript in Chrome and add website on the fly. When you run incognito the settings is not saved so there you have the allow once (use switches --safe-plugins --incognito).

Chrome by itself (with few extentions) is becoming a very configurable browser, see picture examples

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  19. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Attached Files:

20. Sadeghi85

That's actually a good idea, thanks.

I installed 9.0.587.0 dev in Mint and strangely "Click to play" option is not there while it is in 8.0.559.0 dev in Windows!

Attached Files:

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Go to about:flags first.

The devs felt it wasn't ready for prime time!

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=62084

In edit:
    Actually, see comment 10 here first.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

23. Sadeghi85

Thanks. :D

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I really like this extension, because chrome doesn't have a search bar that conveniently supports multiple search engines.

It also allows you to search the text you select.

25. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I use this extension Shortcut Manager
    to assign my side scroll mouse buttons to select Left and Right Tabs. This way i can switch from Tab to Tab ultra fast. But before u need to assign the mouse scroll buttons in their settings to a free F Key like F7 and F8. I have made the same in Opera and Firefox too ;).
    Also i can click my mouse wheel to the Left/Right. When i click Left (assigned to F9) on wheel it closes the current Tab.

Another extension i use is Selection Search. Select word and search with your search engines.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.