Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Not sure if anyone is aware of it, but the Firefox's PDF Viewer (by Mozilla team) is available for sometime now for Google Chrome as well (Opera too): -https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx?response=redirect&x=id%3Doemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm%26uc

That's the direct download link. Just search for it on Chrome Web Store, as I don't have the link now and no access to Google services. :D

2. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

I use adblock (adthwart / 2.6.2), Adblock Plus (1.4.1), and Adblock Plus (Beta 1.4.1.943)

Adthwart has generally been slightly faster and the first blocker for Chrome. Both seem to get corrupted at times when Chrome updates/system restore or slow after a bit so I switch now and then e.g Adblock 2.6.2 is currently borked on my Chromium. I assume a DB is getting cleared etc when they are turned off for a certain period or I'm just on placebos.

I use Stylebot to create quick CSS mods (perfect "element helper"). I find adding your own rules slows down Chrome adblockers--especially adthwart. FireFox doesn't have any of these problems, it seems.

Also, you guys should consider adversity.co.uk rule sets if you typically browse major US/UK sites. If you also use their social blocker, it all seems more efficient in putting down low FP rules that have huge impact and not one-offs to some obscure German site I'll never visit. Both Adversity rule sets together seem faster and smaller than the main Easylists, no-less when the Easylist modules are added.

Adversity is actually found here: http://adversity.uk.to/

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there are extensions to clear Chrome of all data on exit.

a better way to do this i think is just to edit the shortcut so Chrome launch in Incognito mode.

just add --incognito to the end of the target so it looks like this:
    you might see AppData instead of Program Files, depending on which Windows OS you use.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

It's what I do too. My only gripe is if you need/want to set your default browser as Chrome and wish to use Incognito for all sessions.

Web shortcuts you launch is going to open in Normal mode and that becomes a bit of an annoyance for those who do not want such instances. Mozilla lets users choose it as an option in Firefox and Comodo does it too with Comodo Dragon (which is based on Chromium) so I honestly find it ridiculous that Google doesn't provide it as an option within the Settings.

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

this might help:
    http://www.evolument.com/blog/2013/03/01/quick-fix-start-chrome-in-incognito-mode/

6. safeguy

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Back in 2011 I made a thread about forcing google chrome/chromium to open with specified settings. I made a brief mention to modifying the registry back then.

As you can see I mentioned HKCU... but the main change is in HCR (I failed to mention it back then).

Forum search is your best friend. :D https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1887364&postcount=2

8. safeguy

I know. I've searched and I've seen that thread before. It's just that your posts were too elaborate and the registry part escaped my attention with all the talk of batch files and many profiles etc.

That being said, it's funny though cause this is the 2nd time it's happening to me. I have a simple problem which then gets a solution shared by another member here...that goes back to the registry that I tend to forget Well, good thing though that I can count on people here to share. Part of the Wilders perk I guess..

9. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

10. tlu

tlu Guest

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Agree. Thanks Pinga will try it out. :thumb:

12. Paranoid about privacy or paranoid about security? What is the business model behind this free service, how does it get the bills paid? Zen-mate, your frienly MITB extesion offering anomyeous browsing,interesting and scary at the same time :cool:

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Still only using Smooth Wheel.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

New and free (unlimited?) VPN, guess it's time to test run it!

15. Creer

Creer Registered Member

About ZenMate - It's free and always will be:
    During our launch period we're giving away our Pro accounts for free. In the future you'll be able to continue using ZenMate for free or upgrade to a Pro account with additional features.

Nothing is for free.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Contradicting introduction and conclusion? Anyways, I'm trying it out right now, but it doesn't seem to fool Google unlike a full VPN client.

I'm thinking about combining them, the VPN software's IP appears to be what it sees and proxies. Is that a good idea?

17. Okay the PRO is only for launch and testing, afterwards a free scaled down teaser will probably be available. I like to understand the business model, with a valid business model, the chances of transparant business practises also increase.

Take for instance extension Add Block Plus, uses open source code, is dependant on the work (block list) of others to add valueble content to the prime service (a piece of software). This still made me question, how are they going to pay all those developers?

Since I know ABP earns money by adding advertisers to their 'non-intrusive' advertisements white list, their business model is clear to me. They give me the option to disable it, fine no harm done.

18. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Tried it and I am having trouble logging in to Gmail and Facebook.

19. apathy

apathy Registered Member

The extensions I use on a regular basis:

Adblock Plus 1.5.3
    The free adblock tool for Chrome: Blocks annoying video ads on YouTube, Facebook ads, banners and much more.

Always Clear Downloads 1.1
    A Google Chrome Extension to always clear the downloads list of all completed downloads.

Cryptocat 2.1.12
    Have encrypted, private conversations. Cryptocat is an open source encrypted instant messaging platform.

Diigo Web Collector - Capture and Annotate 2.2.5 *Highlight, tag, cache everything across the intarpipes*
    Bookmark, Archive, Screenshot & Markup - All-In-One Web Collector, must-have research tool

Edit This Cookie 1.2.1
    Edit This Cookie is a cookie manager. You can add, delete, edit, search, protect and block cookies!

Evernote Web Clipper 5.9.19
    Use the Evernote extension to save things you see on the web into your Evernote account. It even lets you search through your notes.

FlashControl 3.3.4
    Flash content filter for Chrome. Permissions Visit website

Ghostery 4.1.2
    Protect your privacy. See who's tracking your web browsing with Ghostery.

History 2 0.6.0
    History 2 overrides default history page with a more user-friendly one. (Tools Menu > History or Ctrl-H)

History Eraser 3.9.3
    Deletes typed URLs, Cache, Cookies, your Download and Browsing History...instantly, with just 1-click on the Eraser button!

Holmes 3.1.6
    Chrome Bookmark Search Extension

HootSuite Hootlet 3.0.1
    Quickly share web pages to all of your social networks using the HootSuite Hootlet.

HTTPS Everywhere 2013.7.10
    Encrypt the Web! Automatically use HTTPS security on many sites.

LastPass 2.0.24
    LastPass is a free password manager and form filler. LastPass is also available for Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari.

Pickpocket 1.2.7.0
    Access your Pocket links in a convenient popup or open all the unread ones in tabs.

Print Friendly & PDF 2.3
    Print Friendly and PDF any Webpage

Privacy manager 2.9 *Awesome for disabling chrome services and privacy settings in one place*
    Manage privacy settings, data deletion, quickly access page in incognito mode, manage cookies and monitor network traffic.

Privacyfix by Privacychoice 4.1.2
    Privacyfix manages all of your privacy settings in one place.

Session Buddy 3.2.1
    Manage Your Browser Sessions

Vanilla Cookie Manager 1.3.1 *Whitelist your favorite sites while deleting other cookies every few minutes*
    A Cookie Whitelist Manager that helps protect your privacy. Automatically removes unwanted cookies.

Vimium 1.43 *Yes... I love Vim!*
    The Hacker's Browser. Vimium provides keyboard shortcuts for navigation and control in the spirit of Vim. Permissions Visit website

20. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Is using an extension still the only way to make Chrome focus on new tabs (open link in new tab) automatically after creation?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  21. Morro

Morro Registered Member

I thought it was time to post a update on the extensions i use with Chrome. :)

Generated: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:33:11 GMT
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.76 Safari/537.36

Extensions: 19
    - Magic Actions for YouTube™ v6.2.4

- Cloudy Calculator v6.1.6

- WOT v2.0.17

- History 2 v0.6.0

- Remove Google Redirects v1.0.8

- Share Extensions v0.1.1

- DoNotTrackMe v2.2.9.912

- AdBlock v2.6.8

- LastPass v2.5.4

- Grey Minimalist v3.0

- SuperSorter v0.4.4

- Reddit Enhancement Suite v4.3.0.1

- Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller v1.3.3

- FVD Video Downloader v5.4.3

- mxHero for Gmail v1.1.2

- No Favicons v1.6.1

- Atomic Bookmarks 2 v2.3.6

- Rain Alarm uitbreiding v1.2.13

- OneClick Cleaner for Chrome v0.9.0.7

Disabled Extensions: 0

Apps: 5
    - Bejeweled v2

- YOUZEEK Free Music v2.0.3

- Nice Translator v3

- Google Maps v5.2.7

- Rain Alarm v1.1.10

Exported with Chrome Extensions Share

22. Kirk Reynolds

I'll take that as a yes or I don't know. :D

23. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Well i personally do not know of an extension that does what you want, sorry. :(

24. Kirk Reynolds

Oh, I wasn't directing that post at you in particular. I was asking anyone reading this thread who might know. Thanks for the response just the same though. :)

I've used an extension that does that called "Tabs to the front". What I was wanting to know is if there is a way to focus on the new tab without having to use an extension.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.