Google Chrome extensions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Crap...now i see i misread your post, i saw Smooth and that's where i think the link was already made in my mind with "Smooth Scroller" in stead of Smooth Gestures. Really sorry about that bonedriven. :(

2. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Never mind buddy!

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    works but without thumbs :(

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm unable to find AVG Threatlabs extension in Chrome Web Store. Did anyone notice it was gone? o_O I wonder why...

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Possibly AVG pulled it to work out some sort of bug maybe? Or, it could very well be it's in AVG 2013 and they decided not to have it as a separate extension anymore.

6. m00nbl00d

Maybe. But, they did seem to include AVG Do Not Track extension in Chrome Web Store, so I wonder why they wouldn't keep ThreatLabs there.

Anyway, let's wait and see... :)

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Information is a bit lacking after a Google search and a trip to the official forums. My guess is that some temporary issue occurred, but as you said we'll see.

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

is there a noscript like extension that has been updated regularly and allows for temporary white list of sites? it looks like scriptno and notscript has not been updated in a while

10. tlu

tlu Guest

No, there are no alternatives available, IMHO - and they wouldn't help since a reliable Chrome API for this purpose is still missing. There is a new API under development which might provide the base for a reliable content management/blocking in Chrome but it's not yet ready.

11. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

12. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

13. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Extensions (or softwares) that are not updated doesn't mean that they're dead at all. As for Ghostery, it blocks what ABP doesn't.
    Edit: I don't use DNT+.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Adblock, Ghostery, Silverbird, Clean Print, Send with Gmail, Gmail offline, wolfram alpha, shareaholic.

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It may not be in its grave, but February 2012 is a long time back for any program to be last updated, especially a security related one. It shows lack of attention or time on the part of the developer and several issues don't seem to have been worked on in a while.

An extension I used to love was Stumbleupon. But has anyone looked at the privacy policy lately? What don't they collect and share? At least they're open about it, no "we only use anonymous data" stuff.

16. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Anybody knows if we can stop extensions from auto-updating? I wanna use a previous build of ABP but after a while it updates to the latest version 1.3.
    I tried to delete the update url from the json file and then install the extension, but it wouldn't install. Is there any switch or something?

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, now I don't remember how options were set up in Chrome since I've moved back to FF. But, in FF the ability to toggle auto-updating off is in the options pane for ABP. I show Default, On and Off ((How Default differs from On I have no idea)).

18. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

It's a Chrome thing, but since older builds of ABP are available for download i thought that there might be a way, or else don't make any sense

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

It is a nice one, because normally the chromium option "Send a do not track request . . ." is not avialable in Chrome. This one seems to activate it. Good find.

Anyone knows whether the --no-referrers switch works on Chrome?
    http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/run-chromium-with-flags reference to this link of peter.sh of which this one is interesting: http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/#no-referrers

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  20. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

The “send a do not track request” is in Chrome beta channel v23 which should be hitting the stable channel any time now according to http://omahaproxy.appspot.com/viewer under pending releases. I moved from Chromium to Chrome a while ago for PepperFlash, I just couldn't get it working under Chromium although I’m sure there is a way.
    And I've confirmed that the --no-referrers switch does indeed work with Chrome.

21. tlu

tlu Guest

Since you mentioned command line switches: I've added

Code:
    --host-rules="MAP .google-analytics.com 127.0.0.1","MAP .googleadservices.com 127.0.0.1","MAP .doubleclick.net 127.0.0.1"
    some time ago. Now empty the cache, start Chrome anew, input about:cache - voilà: you'll see google-analytics.com entries. Why? The same is true if you load the Chrome webstore - you'll see entries for doubleclick.net.

Conclusion: There are 3 possible reasons for this misbehavior:
    1. I'm doing something wrong.
    2. Those host-rules don't work at all.
    3. Google circumvents those rules for their own tracking services. If that's true it would confirm privacy concerns related to Chrome.

22. apathy

apathy Registered Member

These are the ones I've used for a while:

I have gotten to the point that I need all of these ;)

Ghostery 4.0.0
    Protect your privacy. See who's tracking your web browsing with Ghostery. Visit website

Google Reader Unread Count 12
    Display actual unread count instead of '1000+' in Google Reader. Visit website

History 2 0.6.0
    History 2 overrides default history page with a more user-friendly one. (Tools Menu > History or Ctrl-H) Visit website

History Eraser 3.5
    Deletes typed URLs, Cache, Cookies, your Download and Browsing History...instantly, with just 1-click on the Eraser button! Visit website
    **Goes in great detail to remove cookies, local storage, cache, sql databases, and so much more!**

HTTPS Everywhere 2012.10.31
    Encrypt the Web! Automatically use HTTPS security on many sites. Visit website

LastPass 2.0.14
    LastPass is a free password manager and form filler. LastPass is also available for Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari.
    **Add a multifactor authentication and its worry free**

Neater Bookmarks 0.9.4
    A neater bookmarks tree popup. Visit website

Pocket (formerly Read It Later) 1.1.3
    Pocket Extension for Google Chrome – The best way to save articles, videos and more Visit website

Privacy manager 2.6
    Manage privacy settings, data deletion, quickly access page in incognito mode, manage cookies and monitor network traffic. Visit website

Readability 1.13
    Readability is a web and mobile app that zaps clutter and saves web articles in a comfortable reading view. Visit website

Session Buddy 3.0.19
    Manage Your Browser Sessions Visit website

Tampermonkey 2.7.2820
    the most popular userscript manager for Google Chrome Visit website

Vanilla Cookie Manager 1.3.1
    A Cookie Whitelist Manager that helps protect your privacy. Automatically removes unwanted cookies. Visit website
    **Protect certain cookies, too bad there's a whitelist but no blacklist yet..**

Vimium 1.42
    The Hacker's Browser. Vimium provides keyboard shortcuts for navigation and control in the spirit of Vim. Visit website
    **Awesome extension, if you are a vim user or like shortcuts this is for you**

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  23. m00nbl00d

My bet goes to option 1.

Modify it to
    Code:
    --host-rules="MAP *.google-analytics.com 127.0.0.1","MAP *.googleadservices.com 127.0.0.1","MAP *.doubleclick.net 127.0.0.1"

24. tlu

tlu Guest

I'm afraid that didn't make a difference. Even with those changes GA is NOT blocked.

25. m00nbl00d

Unfortunately, I do not use Google Chrome (I use Chromium), so I cannot test it either. But, it's working fine with Chromium.

That said, considering that the modification didn't do anything to block those connections, then 3. comes closer to reality, IMHO. Unless there's some bug in Google Chrome itself, that's not present in the Chromium build I'm running?

Could you also try it with the most recent Chromium version, just in case? I'm using a low speed Internet connection at the moment, and I'm downloading other stuff, so it won't be possible to download Chromium right now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.