Google chrome experiences

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kees1958, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi all,

I have been using chrome (chromium) since its introductio. I once uninstalled chorme because it could not render a favourite web site of mine. Two days later I tried again and it could render it correctly. Seems to me they are really trying hard.

I would like to know my fellow members expriences (as in I really used it) and thoughts (not to be confused with I have already made my mind up without trying which is called a prejudic)

Security
    I managed to get Chromium working alright when launched with strip my rights. I think the sandbox is working well, with this limitation that it has all the build in exploits of the components it was build on (like any program which uses these components). Because I have no idea how long they have been busy with the development it is pointless to say they should have used more recent components. Overal the sandbox concept is a security improvement.

Speed
    Its multi threaded architecture, prefetching and V8 engine makes it a blazing fast browser. Also the way the screens are build up helps to establish a sense of speed.

GUI
    I think GUI is really smart, they have redefined the looks of a webbrowser.

Marketing Succes
    The beta seems to have by passed Opera in users pount. I have dropped Opera as my second browser (first browser is IE7, because every one at home knows how to work with IE7), Chrome seems to attract FF users, I think that is bad news for Google, Firefox is associated with techie like PC users. This implies that when a friend of mine (a known computer geek) would advise it to my wife or her girl friends, they would certainly NOY use it. I think Chrome has shot itself in the foot by widely launching a BETA, you could expect this to attract PC innovation junkies/techies. Sure a wide BETA launch generates traffic and media attention, but they will be associated with the wrong reference group. After all IE comes standard on the PC and Chrome hast be installed.

Future
    Chrome is Google's first serious effort to disconnect the user from the desktop OS, read Microsoft (like all the "in the cloud" buzz, which is just another try to give the concept of the lean PC or networked computing a second go).

IE will keep dominating the browser market (due to the wrong first users reference group of Chrome), all goodies of Google will float back to FF eventually (after all Google's exit strategy was to make it open source).

What are your thoughts on it

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I used Chrome for about 10 days. Outside of the increased speed i didn't find anything that I needed in it that I don't already have or can't get in Firefox. The sites I use the most in Chrome are displayed in the main GUI, and are listed as well, but that's not really necessary to access a web site. It's eye candy. I have my most accessed sites at the ready in my links tool bar in FF. I had to disable a few options for security so Google couldn't phone home. (I think) It's not a bad browser, but it has a long way to go as a beta before we get a version worth the effort. I uninstalled it until I see something that eats Firefox alive. Till then, FF is king. :)

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I haven't tried Chrome yet, but I'm tempted to try Iron (which suposedly is Chrome without the privacy concerns).
    What has kept me from trying Iron or Chrome is the problem reported with SBIE when it first camed out. Where these problems finally addresed?
    Can the sandbox feature of Chrome be disabled? Since I won't browse without sandboxie and I think 2 sandboxes would be overkill.

Otherwise, Firefox does all I need...

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I agree with all of twl845's comments, after trying out Chrome for about a week when it became the rage in Wilders. Privacy is paramount to me and I couldn't get past some of the issues with Google's Terms & Conditions/Privacy Policy. Firefox is hard to beat and it seems that we are not the only ones feeling that way: Chrome fades as users return to IE, Firefox

5. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

HURST,

You can disable the sandbox feature of Chrome using a command line switch. All you have to do is right click on the shortcut and add this switch at the end of the "Target" field:

-no-sandbox

So, it'll look like something like this: "C:\Program Files\Chrome\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox

That should disable the sandbox. I got it to work with Sandboxie by adding that switch.

Hope this helps.

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have used Google Chrome since I heard about it, first week of September.
    The speed of launching the browser and rendering pages is what attracts me. I also like the interface, both the functionality of the address bar and the place of the tabs, leaving more room for the content of the web pages.

I found one web site that doesn't always renders well: http://www.mvixusa.com/. Sometimes the menu dropdown under 'products' is garbled.
    Lately I also noticed that sometimes tabs freeze for a short time, and then the famous 'each tab it's own process' does't hold up it's promise.
    Maybe I need to open the task manager and see what I can do there in such situation.

Overall, I feel that Chrome is the browser that Phoenix promised us to be, speedy and tidy.
    I also feel that I'm still learning it's behaviour and tricks, it works a little bit different. Different in a positive way.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Can someone using Chrome tell me what build they have released to the public as of now? Just wondering how the progress is going. :)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Far as I can tell, it's the same build as the original one released. And I don't see the updater updating it either, no change. So either the updater is broken, or they are not releasing newer builds as "official"....

Otherwise I am enjoying Chrome...

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I like the speed and the very basic approach of the beta. I haven't given up Firefox at all, as a matter of fact in terms of security I still prefer Firefox when browsing dangerously. I should also add that I like Google as a company , and I have no doubts that given enough time they will develop this product to become one of the best.

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Google Chrome updates in the background, using the Google Updater Service. Most of the times you won't notice any update, but it's updating.

chrome-about.jpg

11. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If that's the case, then why does it show the same old version as when I first installed it several weeks ago? I seriously don't think it's updating at all. Is there any way to verify it? I suppose we could check file dates maybe.. I know you can download daily/hourly snapshots, and I have done that to have a look now and then, but I have not seen the version on this released one budge since I installed it on Day 1.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

There should be a new update very soon according to a newspaper I've just read, but one has to click on to 'About Google Chrome' to trigger it, I don't think it is automatically downloaded.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I have seen and used the snapshots... we were talking about the official release version and whether it updates itself or not. I don't think it has yet. But perhaps it will soon, as suggested by Osaban...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.