Google buys GreenBorder (soon to be free?)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Defcon, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Any software that deals with Trojans. Trojans are similar in how they get you to Phishing.

2. Bill Stout

Bill Stout Registered Member

Apologies to the thread owner, we're waay off topic now.

That is a good link though a bit dated. I'm not aware of many recent freebsd vs. linux links other than archived messages. I like the fact that with a BSD, all components for an (infrequent) release are made to work together, unlike Linux which has (frequent) kernel releases that happens to include the latest stable versions of components. To me that means that BSD is much more stable (a key element of security) and the OS won't change soon (less touching required). Components such as the filesystem (UFS2 on BSD, Ext3fs on Linux) are different, and on BSD have been around longer.

Again apologies to the thread starter on being off topic.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I was saying I have very little or no software to uninstall.
    Mrk

4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I get concerned whenever a big company like Google or M$ buys out a small one. Microsoft has a way of taking a good idea and weakening or watering it down to the point of being useless. Google's data collection tactics concern me. Too many apps and websites end up connecting back to them. I'd be concerned about outgoing data with any software that Google is involved with.
    Rick

5. stoppit

stoppit Registered Member

Hi all.

Been a silent reader of this forum for quite a while. Thought I might as well start contributing :)

Just found this Gartner article which throws in a few more hints about Googles plans for Green Border.

http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?id=506700

Cheers.

6. Bill Stout

Bill Stout Registered Member

Good find stoppit!

Very good writeup - well organized and rational thinking.

The comment on kernel hooking is right on; Vista prevents kernel hooking and future updates to XP (SP3) may also interfere with kernel hooking, so cooperation with Microsoft is imperative. The kernel hooking was part of the reason GreenBorder needed kernel expertise, and why GreenBorder was able to protect; System Calls, COM objects, and User Shell entry points.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.