Google Bans Disconnect.me App From Play Store

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by dogbite, Sep 3, 2014.

1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

F-Droid is another software repository (fancy for store) that allows apps to be; side-loaded :isay: I had it on my phone for a while and junked it as it was offering so much stuff I didn't know what to do with all the "suggestions" ... - that's not to say it doesn't have it's uses.

While Disconnect and Google battle it out for legitimacy of the Disconnect app, I'm not running it from a side-loaded source.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I must say, you're really into this "side-loaded" thing aren't you? Get over it. I have never seen F-Droid offer suggestions unless I choose to see them myself.

3. siljaline

4. Countryboy15

Countryboy15 Registered Member

I'm a little confused about your concerns. This side-loading thing isn't all that much different from using unofficial repositories on Linux, is it? Really no more dangerous than using a website to download and install Linux packages either. It has its risks of course, I sure will not argue that point. But, heck the Play store itself is risky. Have you seen the junk they peddle in that place? Google sure is taking its sweet time removing all that. I can only guess since those things are riddled with ads and data grabbing gremlins, that they and Google play for the same team.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I really don't get the side-load issue. Is it just about security? If so, consider that Google disclaims responsibility for app security in the developer agreement that siljaline linked. Why then would one rely on apps in the Play Store being more secure than those from known developers?

If there's more to it than security, I would appreciate a little explanation, or some sources. It's my impression that Android devices aren't restricted and policed, at least not to the extent that Apple devices are. But is there language in the official Android OS that prohibits side loads, and the use of "untrusted" sources? Does such usage, without rooting, invalidate device warranties?

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Out of curiosity, I installed Disconnect yesterday in my low-end LG Android phone. No problem with the installation. But in this phone, I access internet only via wi-fi, and I have found that Disconnect must be enabled manually each time I connect via wi-fi. It doesn´t get enabled automatically.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  7. siljaline

• Disconnect Mobile yanked again from Google Play
    The to & fro between Disconnect and Google.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/239193892/Disconnect-Mobile-Google-Play-Emails

This is an update to the previous CNET article I posted.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/disconnect-mobile-yanked-again-from-google-play/

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Cause of bureaucratic setups that don't make sense in the real world.

I keep waiting for it to show up on there. It is odd it isn't already.

9. siljaline

What may have driven the proverbial nail in the coffin when Disconnect were booted from Google Play a second time was when staff from Disconnect were going for the jugular on Google Play user comments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.