Goodbye to BOClean

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by LoneWolf, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I have too, mercurie.
    I trusted Kevin's BOClean.
    Just can't bring myself to feel the same about Comodo's version.
    Maybe it's the buffer overflow problem or the Eula wording.
    Maybe it was just time for a change anyway! :D

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I was wondering if maybe BoClean may be incorporated into the firewall, as an add-on to the HIPSo_O They have kept adding to the capabilities of the f/w, so this seems a natural progression. Just my 2c (& fear).

3. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I think you're right and eventually their anti-virus will be added to make the Comodo Suite. :shifty:

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Running a small business is not as easy/simple as ABC. Kevin was running a very tight ship and I believe he would not like to sell his business unless he has run out all other options. Now it is done deal, no one can reverse or restore it. Therefore, for former BoClean paid users, you just need ask yourselves one question : have you been treated fairly by Kevin during his era? if the answer is affirmative, then Kevin owes you nothing. BoClean is now owned by Comodo, everything you received from comodo is directly come from there, nothing to do with him. IMO, Kevin should not be held accountable for any action(good or evil) made by Comodo. He was a respectable business/tech man, and now is a big plus assets to comodo, unless the CEO is vision-impaired. We, should wish Kevin the best. And wish Comodo continue to polish his talent.

5. 19monty64

Ugh.....you said the "S-word".....let's hope not! That is the denial and the direction their forum tends to lean! :mad:

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I really like Comodo fw, but if they ever do away with the stand alone in favor of a suite, I'll have to find something else.:'(

7. 19monty64

If CBoc was added to the f/w....great!!! Anything else....NO WAY!!! Comode would be the new name, as their other apps. (have) would put my pc in the crapper!!!

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If CBoc was included in the fw, and there was a problem with CBoc you would have to uninstall both for an upgrade. Stand alones are always better.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Don't hang 2 much on comodo forums but from what i got there is the following: FUTURE PLANS Keep all curent standalone programs and keep on improving and maintaining them plus a suite, choice is up 2 u. Ofc most on wilders like to keep thinghs layered but for those not willing to spend any longer on nis,kis,etc. will have a sweet free suite. Free choice is a must!

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am NOT glad for them. If one of them comes into my yard, I will sic my Rottweiler on him.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  11. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

:D :) ;) LOL

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Ahh.. such is life. Those that get all of the great deals and those that get all of the rip-offs. ;) :D

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

All things come to he who waits.:D

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

At least we are all in good humor. :D :thumb: :D

15. omegakilo

omegakilo Guest

Wow, everyones ditching CBOC now?
    I mean, is it that bad?

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use it without problems...

17. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Same here. There were a few bumps but so far so good. :)

snowbound

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

No, the fellow who started this thread is ditching it, and folks keep seeing the thread title and think there's something wrong. I haven't had a ripple since I installed it. :)

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: from tech point of view, it is so far so good. Those who have problems earlier may need to revisit it.

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Already ditched. :(
    And there is things wrong thats why I uninstalled it.
    If it works well on your pc then keep it, too many issues for me right now when it can be (and was) replaced.
    I miss PSC. (and ewido n DCS n .....)
    Such is life.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

BoClean is still a great product and Kevin deserves credit for doing what is best.. Hell, I think AVG Antispyware free is one of the best products out their and the Ewidos are still very involved. Dont write products off because they merge. Sometimes it does work out in the long run. Have a little faith.

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I was a long timer paid user. I would not bad mouth BOClean for a minute. The protection it offers is still good. It is some of the best free malware protection out there.

I don't like the EULA, or the response given when others raised issue about it. This in turn causes me general concern about new owners. I too just miss PSC. Kevin did what he had to do I guess :( .

AVs have gotten better a snagging trojans (Kevin and Nancy even admitted this). The market has expanded and now there are plenty of offerings for getting spyware and all malwares of various types. Things have changed since I purchased BOClean years ago. There are other very good offerings in this area if you want to pay for it.

While I know offense was not intended, it pains me a little to see such words as "ditch" and "is it that bad".

I don't use it now, but it is not bad as in poor or worthless and I did not ditch it on a whim. I just moved on.

No rant here I just did not want to be misunderstood after advocating BOClean as a good product for so many here at Wilders over the years.

23. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I am not sure about BOClean, it is very quiet in the lower right corner.
    I guess it acts like a on access guard, related to keylogger and usual spyware this tool seems to be pretty useless.
    The worst thing is the unability to make longrange scans, a guard alone is nearly nothing except for total unexperienced user, but on the whole this thing looks extremely boring. Actually it makes no problems, so as 3rd or 4th security layer it seems to be okay in contrary to GSS 1.3 alpha which generates several BSODs when system becomes stressed a little bit.

Loool, great illustration

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  24. Brother Esau

Brother Esau Registered Member

But the fact of the matter is that we are not dealing with the Open Source Community with Source Code readily available to scrutinize! Moreover Comodo is a corporate entity and based in New Jersey and then the whole EULA thing and surveillance of you're system upon install left a knot in my stomach and I own the program and wont use it anymore no matter how much I respect Kevin and Nancy its Comodo's intension's I do not trust!

25. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I have to give comodo BOClean a passing grade (4.25) since I have used it quite successfully last week on a few system with a computer that was severely Virus infected: Here are some of the viruses It found and cleaned in the system... Without any intervention in my part whatsoever:

------------------------------
    08/29/2007 16:33:59: C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32TWINMMDT.EXE Trojan horse was found in above file RSK-ZENOSEARCH MALWARE STOPPED by BOCLEAN! Logged in user: Owner Active trojan horse was shut down. System now safe. Above file copied to evidence location for examination Trojan horse was removed, registry cleaned. ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:34:41: ADSERV7 VARIANT STOPPED BY BOCLEAN! Trojan horse was found in memory. C:WINDOWST3DUZXICOMMAND.EXE contained the trojan. Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System safe. Logged in user: Owner ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:34:50: C:WINDOWST3DUZXICOMMAND.EXE Trojan horse was found in above file ADSERV9 MALWARE STOPPED by BOCLEAN! Logged in user: Owner Active trojan horse was shut down. System now safe. Above file copied to evidence location for examination Trojan horse was removed, registry cleaned. ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:34:57: DNSFAIL MALWARE STOPPED by BOCLEAN! Trojan horse was found in memory. C:pROGRAM FILESNETWORK MONITORNETMON.EXE contained the trojan. Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System now safe. Logged in user: Owner ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:35:09: RSK-ADTOOL.MYWEBSEARCH.A.003 VARIANT STOPPED BY BOCLEAN! Trojan horse was found in memory. C:pROGRA~1MYWEBS~1BAR3.BINMWSOEMON.EXE contained the trojan. Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System safe. Logged in user: Owner ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:35:29: DLDR-AGENT.SAH VARIANT STOPPED BY BOCLEAN! Trojan horse was found in memory. C:DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGSOWNERAPPLICATION DATAMICROSOFTWINDOWSWACDAC.EXE contained the trojan. Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System safe. Logged in user: Owner ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:35:41: Trojan horse was found in memory. C:pROGRAM FILESWINPOPWINPOP.EXE contained the trojan. Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System safe. Logged in user: Owner ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:41:30: DLDR-PURTIYSCAN.C VARIANT STOPPED BY BOCLEAN! Trojan horse was found in memory. C:WINDOWSSMBOLS~1WINSPOOL.EXE contained the trojan. Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System safe. Logged in user: Owner ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:41:37: C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32TWINMMDT.EXE Trojan horse was found in above file RSK-ZENOSEARCH MALWARE STOPPED by BOCLEAN! Logged in user: Owner Active trojan horse was shut down. System now safe. Above file copied to evidence location for examination Trojan horse was removed, registry cleaned. ------------------------------

08/29/2007 16:58:47: DLDR-PURITYSCAN.B MALWARE STOPPED by BOCLEAN! Trojan horse was found in memory. C:DOCUME~1OWNERLOCALS~1TEMP!UPDATE.EXE contained the trojan. Active trojan horse WAS shut down. System now safe.

I thinks this repport speaks volumes... (These where all detected and cleaned on the same pc by the way)

Also noteworty.... McAfee Suite was the active protection on the user system... rather useless in this case.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.