Goodbye Opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progress

progress Guest

Let's see if the next opera update will remove Firefox & Chrome :D I think there is no reason to use Opera these days: It's slow and has no support for extensions - it's just an outdated browser in my opinion :ouch:

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

lol, I hack on it !

Seriously, I break it. I try to do all the things you are not supposed to do. That is, to the OS of course. For example, what happens if you mess with values in the HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Enum area? Not much good, I can tell you that. But if you don't attempt, how can you learn?

What happens if you modify (with hex editor) certain files? What happens if you use different tools included in the OS to change your security scheme, and modify the .inf security templates first?

And the list goes on.

Why do I run as Admin? Because, for the most part, I am learning, playing, tweaking, busting, fixing. I play an occassional game. Watch an occassional movie. Do a lot of browsing (tech stuff). Do a fair bit of coding/scripting. But more than aything, doing things that require admin, with the intent of seeing what happens.

Since you asked, ahem, there it is ;)

Sul.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Guys,

I'd like to point out one thing: the fact Opera and me had a fight does not mean it cannot remain the best or fastest browser for you. There's no exclusion here. It's not either that or that. The two facts coexist.

You still have a browser you love and use and it does what it's expected. My experience does not change that. On the same note, your experience does not change the fact I've had a falling and taken a decision to remove software from the machine.

Anyhow, lots of energy in here :) I was expecting more of a beating, it's quite interesting ...

Mrk

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Mrkvonic wrote in his article :

"The sense of betrayal is probably the hardest emotion to cope with, the realization of a difficult truth that the trust you have given has been abused. Your defenses are down. When it comes to people, we react with anger, possibly even violence. Not without a reason is the crime of treason treated with such harsh penalties. When it comes to software, you pull out the digital chopping block and swing your e-axe. When software betrays your trust, it's time for some stringent house cleaning."

Wow !!...BIG words and strong ones too (eg. betrayal, hardest emotion, anger, crime of treason, violence, etc) and his supporting evidences were :

Here's what Opera browser update did and should not have done:

1. Added shortcuts onto my desktop and the Quick Launch toolbar,
    2. Changed the browser layout,
    3. Set itself as a default browser,

End result: uninstall.

I think I'll leave it open to anyone to decide if this is a correct response.

But I think if anyone wants to abandon a software for these reasons, it is better to let one go. Opera's World would be more peaceful without it.

Goodbye, Mrkvonic (you wouldn't be missed by Opera)

Mrkvonic,

Many people have tested softwares, had a falling and taken the decision to uninstall and remove that software from the machine even though that software still works for others and it's not this or that and the 2 facts coexist. You've even hinted that you may be hated for putting up this thread.

Your true intentions remains highly suspect.:shifty:

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you report it to the Opera forum, be prepared for fanboy shark attacks. I once posted a simple one-sentence question on that forum, as to how I could install Opera WITHOUT installing "Opera Unite". I got flamed to a crisp.

I too detest Opera's attitude of "We know what you need better than you do. Don't like it? It's OUR browser -- live with it!"

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You can report the issues here :- https://bugs.opera.com/wizard/

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I've posted much at the Opera forum and did not receive the flamings you mentioned. :p

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Sorry, but to me this doesn't make any sense...

You installed a new version!
    Do you understand what was changed?

Some thoughts about the article:
    1. Added shortcuts onto my desktop and the Quick Launch toolbar:
    I don't know if previous versions add an option to not installed them, but is a big problem to just delete them?

2. Changed the browser layout:
    You installed a new version, that have a new layout.
    You just have to configure it to you favorite layout.

3. Set itself as a default browser:
    The installer have an option to not change this.

Opera have other important issues to be solved, and these are definitely not one of them...

But as always, I have to respect your opinion... ;)

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Mrkvonic don't you think to be a bit much dramatic and emphatic ? I can't understand why your trust would be betrayed.

I installed Opera 10.51 and I had not as default the the Quick Launch toolbar and the shortcuts. And about the browser layout, I 've no problem.

From where did you download Opera ??

I don't hate you ;) but your thread brings grist to the mill of the lovers of FF, a browser overestimated and " for teen agers ", too much trendy and mindful to the special effects. :D

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've always kinda liked the Goodbye (insert browser of your choice) threads personally. I think that if you become jaded or are disappointed with something you once thought was better than the thing sliced bread was originally better than, then it is perfectly permissible to have a bit of a whinge.

I used Firefox up until Fx #3 & was sad to see it go the way it did. The good thing about that was that eventually I was forced to find another default browser, luckily I discovered Opera. It is still my default. I think Firefox still has a lot of merits though & has many excellent qualities. A billion downloads can't be wrong! The latest incarnation of Opera is very good however, even taking into account Opera ASA's strange need to rush everything out at light-speed without appearing to finish the bloody thing properly.

I still love Opera, even with all its incompatibilities, quirks & general wacky-ness, & anyway, if all else fails I always have K-Meleon! :cool:

11. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

I think you're being rather unnecessarily dramatic and overreacting here, Mrk. Of course, we're all free to do as we please.

I've always been one to allow people their opinions, but, man, "Opera is slow"? I wonder if you're using an entirely different Opera than the rest of the world. Because Opera is actually proven to be much faster than IE8, faster than Firefox 3.6, and pretty much on par with or faster than Chrome - no matter whether we're talking artificial javascript speed tests or real world usage. I don't think that should be called slow. Or if it should, then pretty much all browsers are slow. Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of calling them slow.

As far as extensions are concerned, some people actually like not having to install a ton of additional extensions to get some features in their browser, and then watch said extensions randomly break with new versions of the browser. Extensions? Not for everyone...

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I do think ... I even wrote it ... :)

I did not download Opera; it was installed, I accepted the auto-update from within Opera itself, like I did ten times before. This time, something went wrong in the process. All I did was complain ... visibly.

I think it's a personal responsibility of all of us to publicly talk about software fiascos we encounter, since this allows other users a chance to carefully think through possible changes and upgrades and hopefully avoid issues.

Mrk

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Spot on.

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I couldn't have put it better myself. :thumb:

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Noble words cannot hide your suspect true intent here with your most dramatic emotional outbursts :doubt:

16. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

During install, Opera asks if it would be the default browser, not selecting it allows one to keep the default browser in their system.

Outdated slow browser, LOLOL! are we talking about Firefox, I am sure the Opera got replaced by it somewhere. Every tests done have proven Opera to be the fastest and even those who never used Opera, after installing it find it to be among the quickets browsers.

On another note, a blog is an idea way to project one's biased opinion, its up to the readers to discern between that.

Good thing is that with IE9, Chrome and Opera, Firefox will die a nice death, time for all to send flowers.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/firefox-37-pre-alpha-available-still.html
    Speed
    How does Firefox 3.7 stack up against the latest Chrome and Opera builds?

We ran a simple javascript benchmark that measures a browsers javascript speed. This helps us gauge how fast Firefox 3.7 Pre-Alpha compared to its rival browsers.

(For technical info on the benchmark see here)

Running the script 4 times in each browser and then deducing the average score the results looked as follows: -
    Firefox 3.7: 172
    Firefox 3.6: 105
    Google Chrome 5.0 (dev): 293
    Opera 10.52 beta: 273
    Chrome remains in pole position as the speediest browser on the block with Opera 10.52 not far behind. Firefox 3.7 certainly builds upon it's predecessor somewhat significantly in these tests and given it is still a pre-alpha this bodes well for the actual alpha releases to come.

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Da.
    And Da again.
    Must keep shining the light.

LOL, wait for the Ask toolbar to appear with the next update :shifty:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I intended on staying out of this after my previous comments...but come on. Emotional outburst? "Suspect true intent"? What do you think he is doing, trying to convert people? There's nothing going on here but a pissed off customer letting his feelings be known that he doesn't like the way the software decided it was going to do things differently than it had in the past. That never, ever, happens here at Wilders does it?....I thought so. I'm not defending anyone, hell I have nothing to gain. I just think its hilarious and quite sad that I can link several hundred posts at LEAST....this year....that moan and complain about a product not working right, some outright whine-fests...and you pick this one, a well-written, actually quite calm post to call and emotional outburst. *clap* Well done, well done.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not a fanboy. Every browser has its merits. IE is least trouble some and has best antimalware features built-in. FF is most configurable due to its themes and extensions. Chrome is super fast with a secure sandbox. Opera is fast, slim, secure and has a lot of features out of the box. To cal it an out-dated browser is something that is difficult to swallow. :rolleyes:

On my ubuntu I have Opera, FF and Chromium, all of them.

20. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

I have taken to testing all new versions of my favorite programs in a virtual machine...

I no longer allow anything except my antivirus to update it's definitions automatically , just too many headaches.

Opera seems to never fix older problems but keeps adding new features I have been disappointed with every version since 9.5 in one way or another. I hope they can get it together again , I used to like Opera as a browser.

Thunderbird 3 has been nothing but a headache liked version 2 much better.

Firefox became bloated at about version 1.0...

IE has broken Windows own UI rules...

So I am using Iron to post this...

I am not prejudiced or a fan-boy !!

Just becoming a curmudgeon I guess!!

rrrh1 (arch1)

21. blacknight

Ya, but I'm asking if is correct to talk about " fiasco " for a single accidental event[ that can happen in whatever OS and with whatever sw. :rolleyes:

22. blacknight

Quote. :)

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree with you, they ALL have a benefit...and they ALL have problems. So goes the software world...so why is this a two page thread about some guy disliking a single browser? It's done, the situation is long over for him, and we're (me included..told you I was fair) still arguing back and forth, praising this, damning that. Time to kill this one imho.

24. HJO

HJO Guest

So whats your main browser?
    I'd really like to know. :)

25. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Day in and day out, people come to Opera forum and curse it out, I see more blatant and hopeless fanboyism at the Mozilla forum than Opera forum, specially the FOSS nazi types, they just don't wish to acknowledge that their browser hype is now a thing of past and its security premise is so passe'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.