Good Windows Firewall thats free?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chrcol, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Is there any reason you don't use it? If it wasn't for WFC, I would have probably installed a third party firewall. I've also used TinyWall in the past, but there was something I didn't like about it, can't remember what, perhaps a missing feature. So that's why I switched to WFC.

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Rasheed, I don't know. I haven't yet grasped what it does and what it does not and if alerts are clear (I like alerts till a rule is made). On and off I read about it, and with so many posts, I'm confused of what I'll see. BTW, it IS a 3rd party firewall as far as I understand it. Hooks to the Win firewall engine/platform, right? Maybe you can clarify for me - use this cool diagram to tell me:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366509(v=vs.85).aspx
    Is your Windows Firewall service on (Not BFE), just the winFW service? If yes, are all your profiles allowed or denied? Does WFC care?

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Believe me, it's quite simple to operate. If you pay a one-time fee of 10 bucks, it will also alert about outbound connections. And no, it isn't a third party firewall, it's simply a tool to manage the Win Firewall. Tools like ZoneAlarm and Comodo don't need the Win Firewall to block incoming and outgoing connections, they can do it themselves, that's why they are true third party firewalls.

4. david banner

david banner Registered Member

What does piggy back on windows firewall mean?

5. boredog

boredog Registered Member

It means third party software that controls ( uses )Windows Firewall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.