Good reason to uses HOSTS file?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bellgamin, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rmus, once the leak came out, the game was over and the only thing to wonder is: will Dan Kaminsky, on August 7th, bring something new to the DNS Poisoning table that it's not taking place today?

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I truly don't understand why peeps use the internet to pass credit card info or banking data across a line that's continually proven unsafe for a long time, unless you enjoy contributing free money to unknown recipients just waiting for your gift.

Thats why they invented the telephone and ATM's as well as the postal service, of course branches have their open hours too to do business one on one. If a business doesn't have a phone and i make a transaction without a reference number, it don't fly with me.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Longboard -- I'm not a fan of BOC (BOClean) which is "untestable" (purportedly) & (IMO) old tech. I used it for a while, but I still had B.O. (kidding)

@Easter - I keep all my $$$ in the 1st National Bank of Funafuti, so I have no choice but to use the internet. (Kidding) But seriously -- despite DNS poisoning, XSS & all the other ap-cray -- transacting business on the net is both safe & efficient (if you know what you're doing).

@All- I use Paypal's little electronic gadget that generates a unique additional pass-number for each transaction. If someone somehow copied one of my logons to Paypal, he would have a copy of a 1-time pass-number that would be useless for any future transactions. I have heard that some banks are moving toward this sort of double-check.

My point is: I for one do not intend to let any threat cause me to run & hide. Paypal's little gadget is one way to avoid the consequences if I get DNS-poisoned (despite all my other security precautions). There is always going to be another new threat, & the good guys will always develop a way to de-fuze that threat. That's what makes Wilders so interesting, wot!!!

There never was a horse that couldn't be rode.
    There never was a rider that couldn't be throwed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. My advice to DNS poisoners -- Never slap a man who’s chewing tobacco.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Because it is more convenient to shop online. You choose the item you want, enter your info, then submit. Besides, even if you don't shop online, your credit card information could still be compromised because they are stored somewhere that is connected to the internet.

Identity Theft is inevitable, but it can be greatly reduced.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Those three avenues are not immune to MITM attacks no more so than Internet commerce. They all have their own protection and We as individuals have to do our part in helping with that layer of protection also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.