Good old backweb

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Devilin, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilin

Devilin Registered Member

Hi everybody
    Backweb removal ? Possible alternatives to spysweeper ? there must be some do you know of any?

2. bch

bch Registered Member

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

4. Devilin

bch
    Nope giantcompany anti spyware, doesn't deal with backweb , I've just checked, thanks for the reply low :D

Oops forgot to mention my site

http://chooseknowledge.com/Backweb.htm

Bubba
    Thank's for the info about Eric L. Howes-- :D I have had correspondents with him, and he's helped me, in confirming, gaint-antispyware as clean

http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=5949&highlight=devilin

Although my humble tests, cannot compare to the extensive research done by Eric L. Howes, I occasionally get ask to test software, and I like to take that totally independent approach, and I've been encouraged to continue by Eric L. Howes

http://chooseknowledge.com/Anti-spyware-Failed.htm

But with so many anti spyware products flooding the market, I'm sure there must be an alternative

Possible alternatives to spysweeper ? there must be some do you know of any?

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

How about a neat breakdown on the different kinds you will find and what to do. ;)

Overview:
    Backweb Removal - This is very widely used among corporations like Kodak, WD and HP. The original intention of this program is to easily keep your applications updated without you having to do anything. The down side to this is many variants of are floating around and some collect information about you. I suggest doing all updates yourself and removing this application!

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/359-p1.php

used that site last night for someone to make a decision on their logitech stuff.

http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=19350&st=15

6. Primrose

Now is there a particular one you have found that you want additional info ?

many compaines are using backweb..and the are not all that bad..many are for AV updates etc..and legit..backweb is not the bad boy it used to be, in all case, like in the past.

7. bch

bch Registered Member

Devilin.

Not sure what you mean when you say Giant cannot deal with it. The first link I gave you was from Giant Research.

8. Primrose

I think he is saying to you this..

That this is his site..

All of the written and graphic material on this site are © copyright Devilin art & Devilin code all rights reserved
    http://chooseknowledge.com/Anti-spyware-Failed.htm

and he is testing various Antispy programs...and he has already done a test with Giant... :) on what he has as samples for this testing.

Trouble is there are so many different kinds of backweb and backweb lite..so i have no ideas which one he is testing...but some of them are not spyware..but rather.."you just don't need them if you do not want them" and can stop them from running if you like..

;)

9. Devilin

Backweb Have " cough " convinced many anti spyware products not to define them as spyware / addware, although Giant used to consider backweb as spyware, I've tested it today, it doesn't recognize backweb anymore, there page is out of date

10. bch

bch Registered Member

Thanks, Primrose and Devilin, I am a little wiser now.

11. Devilin

Sure there's only 270 + :D
    I did try at one point, but lack of cooperation from a variety of companies, frustrated me, the companies with decent public relations Hp Kodak etc. were cooperative, but there's just to many,

12. Primrose

Do not cough too hard..has nothing to do with backweb convincing them of anything..has to do with the fact their various application have been tested and broken apart by the experts at these companies and determine NOT to be spying as you might think..has to do with tearing each one apart and then making a dtermination..so please do not keep an urban legend going that they are all nefarious and that kind of test you have at the site is going to weed out the good from the bad products.

13. Devilin

They are cleaning up there act, that's for sure,
    I'm just in an awkward position, any advice about spyware I give, I'd like it to be, simple easy, and free,
    I'd like to remove spyswepper
    what to do mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

14. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Devlin - have u tried a manual removal by doing a search and then deleting all the files? Then remove it from ur registry. Some software requires backweb/lite in order for programs to run & by removing backweb/lite u may encounter problems. It was provided with my Logitech internet keyboard - I got rid of it and my keyboard performs just fine. A friend of mine removed it from her HP computer and couldn't do her updates. HP would not help her unless she paid them $75.00/hr. for technical help. We reformatted her computer instead. :)

Can u not remove Spysweeper through ur ADD/REMOVE? If there are remnants left, do a search and all the files will come up and then remove them.

15. Primrose

Good and i was not trying to harrass you so please do not take offense either..i think what you are doing is great..just be thinking about it as something you and I would most likely not want running at start up..if we do for sure know it purpose and do not want it..and then i think you do all a great service in that effort.

but if you over play it..then people will still think they are being dealt a bad hand and come screaming that have beem violated.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4632713~mode=flat

Keep up the good work..Nice site..i think i was picking up on the words failed used there..and think..does not detect or something similar would be simple enough also. ;)

16. Devilin

But I like coughing, I believe the correct word is persuade, backweb's word's although I'm unable to locate the exact page, quickly,

My page although moved has been up for ages, ever since I was first asked about backweb 3 years ago, when they used to do tailored advertising, its still the hottest page on the site

The difficulty is the variations, and getting hold of the variations for independent testing, backweb is not prepared to cooperate

17. Devilin

Thank you Peaches4U , I believe you may have speed read this topic, :D

18. Devilin

Failed, being a polite word for absolute rubbish :D

19. Primrose

I guess you did read this already...

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/359-p1.php

You mean sample to you for testing with various commercial products o_O

Do you have any affiliation with independent testing labs or any of those Antispyware products you are testing ??

maybe I just have not look at you site long enough . I thought it all just a project you were doing.

20. Primrose

There ya go LOL

21. Devilin

? Part of the tailored advertising, and information gathering, suggested by the backweb company itself, might suggest some have been violated

But how much cleaning up of their act has taken place ?

22. Devilin

No affiliation, its just me, a curious little Devilin :D , totally independent

23. Primrose

OT_

I still think you have a great site going there..I will try to get you some samples..and try to do something about this messageplus thingie..

the gal says you can now stop the madness...

How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor

Patchou
    Messenger Plus! Creator

http://msgplus.mybboard.com/showthread.php?tid=21598

but once the stuff is on your PC...those poor people are getting whacked all over the place.

see here

http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=20609

with all sorts of secondary junks that really messes up a PC big time :mad:

24. Devilin

Ohh new toy, :D

25. Primrose

And a lovely toy for messenger..let's people save logs and so many other neat thing done by a good prgrammer who wanted the plus availble to anyone and get some buck out of it..But then let it be strapped with some not to nasty stuff from one company..who then either gave the right or sold them again to a real nasty bugger...and now people who use the plus..get hijacked by some of the most nasty characters out there..who will literally take over your whole PC..now that is what i call invasive spyware..and it all started out with a great idea..and a need for the plus feature..sad ...but definately worth helping to try and stop the madness.

see here :mad:

http://msgplus.mybboard.com/showthread.php?tid=34691

You should see some of those hijack this log....they will drive you NUTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.