"Good, old" apps, under XP PRO?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I was fairly certain that I'd run CorelDraw 4.0 in XP PRO in the past, tho' if I don't recall that correctly, it was last run under WIN98 that I'd had prior to XP PRO for an OS.

Seems even that trying compat. mode isn't a help, in that CorelDraw maintains that a GB or so of free space isn't 'nuff room to save anything in. Fixes/workarounds, for this?

Similar query I had in the past concerned old games, but I don't know if proposed fixes for that apply here too, as I can install/run CorelDraw but it won't save files.

Ideas appreciated, as always.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    What's the GB space thingie?
    Maybe therein lies your issue.
    Mrk

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Mrkvonic;

I'm guessing that, as you suggest, CorelDraw (being an older app) can't deal with concept of a gig or more of free space in which to save its file/s. That is what you're saying, correct?

Yet, oddly, I have other apps about same age as CorelDraw that function just fine.

Best,

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    On the contrary, I think you didn't give it enough space.
    That's what I understood from your first post.
    Mrk

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I am not aware of such a limitation with free space. FAT will not work with files over 1GB, but I don't think this goes for free space too.

That sounds like a Corel trial limitation. When trial expires, Corel will have the "Save" option (and other outputs, like "Print") greyed-out.

On a side note, I recently installed Photoshop 4 on Vista. It is working like a charm.

6. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Mrkvonic - If it ran under 95 and 98 w/tiny HDs and smidge of system RAM, should run (I'd think) with GB of system RAM and more than a GB of HD space left for saving.

Seer - all 3 HDs are NTFS; and, this is not trial ver., as I have the reg/ser # entered in to the app, as always.

Best,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.