Good free Anti-Malware software ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Minsak, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minsak

Minsak Registered Member

I would like to see a list of all the freeware or opensource variants of Anti-Malware software. Could you sum up some of the better ones here in this posting? Hope to see the choices of Anti-Malware software that is compatible with other security software like firewall, anti-trojan, anti-virus, anti-spyware etc.

I currently have installed:
    ZoneAlarm Free (latest version)
    AntiVir Personal Edition (updated daily)
    TrojanHunter 4.2 (updated frequently)
    SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.4 (updated frequently)

I do also run Lavasoft Ad-Aware (latest free variant) on some of my other computers.
    I would also like to install emsisoft a-squared anti (somename) when it is released in version 2.0 (which I hope is soon).

I allready got Acronis TrueImage and like to install some GoBack software (either Symantec's GoBack or a competitor). Else I think my laptop got some revert to empty Windows XP as it came from factory (It is a Acer laptop), but this does not prove useful unless I want a clean start ofcourse.

BTW, I got the Raxco PerfectDisk software too in case it may cause compatibility issues, but Raxco PerfectDisk is simply a defragmentation utility only (not a anti-malware purpose use tool). Windows XP Home is the OS with latest Service Packs and patches.

I am open to strengthen the security on my computers as long as it does not cause compatibility problems. Can you get overly paranoid regarding computer security, really? Sometimes we probably all feel a bit paranoid when we look for new tools to try out. I certainly hope to make my anti-malware arsenal even more powerfull.

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi .
    You can get very paranoid for no reason . And many in this forum are . Your setup looks pretty good as is . Sure , you can add to what you have but , not really sure you need to . You can try hardening tools which help to cover up possible exploits in holes in Windows . Many free . Some include Secure-it , Harden-it , and Samurai . All are very good . Other than one of those , you are in good shape . Try not to let anyone scare you . You might want to add another Antispyware app . SpyCatcher Express is very good and free . Spyware Doctor is excellent but , a paid version is needed to remove threats that are found . I think Computer Associates is offering Pest Patrol for free for a year . Always nice to use 2 or 3 of those type programs to catch what others do not . And update windows with their patches .
    Good luck and WELCOME to the forum .

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

For spyware I would probably go with Microsoft Anti-Spyware, it's detection is up there with the top paid apps.

I do recommend hardening tools, but not Samurai.. it's made with stolen code that never passed quality assurance standards, so it's reliability is questionable, and Secure-It handles most of the same things anyway. You can see the first page in my sig for info on hardening, and the second for plenty of apps, including many free ones.

I haven't seen any conflicts with PerfectDisk, it's worked quite well for me, even with tons of programs installed.

That sounds rather intimidating in itself.. I haven't really seen anyone telling people that they "HAVE to have xyz OR ELSE.." Although some may have a greater desire to see people choose the same software as they did, but that goes for nearly anything.. ("You HAVE to check out this CD/movie/restaurant!!")

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Minsak,

I think it wise to have as many good anti-malware apps as one wishes, but, not running resident (in the background), that's when the trouble starts. At that point computing becomes a chore.

For the record, I dual boot two XP intstallations and run three resident security apps on each.

On one, Sygate, NAV2005, SSM.

On the other, ZA (pro), NOD, SSM.

I have the "usual suspect" anti-malware apps (all the ones you mention + more) and run them as scanners only. And I consider drive imaging as important for security, if not more, than the rest. When I run IE, totally locked down, as with FF which I use as well. The browser is the most vulnerable, and that is what should be concentrated on.

I've been on the Net since the mid 90's and have never had a serious problem and I'm not particularly carefull about surfing.

Regards - Charles

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I heartily recommend Watcher as part of just about anyone's anti-malware arsenal. Watcher monitors key files in the *groin area* of your computer. It only runs once -- at boot-up -- and is so fast & light you probably won't even notice that it's doing its job.

Get it FREE at...
    http://www.donationcoders.com/kubicle/watcher/index.html

6. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

I've gone the hardening and monitoring route. Disable/set to manual unused/unnesessary services, strict Windows Firewall/Security Zone/Advanced config, secure e-mail client settings, SpywareBlaster, hpHOSTS file, an assortment of Network monitors, sniffers...and operator vigilance.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Would there likely to be conflicts with Snoopfree or UnHackMe? Does it do anything those two do not do?

Thanks,
    Jerry

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

There should be no conflicts . SnoopFree should work fine with Watcher and they each do different things . If you like SnoopFree , use it with Watcher . I cannot comment on Unhackme . I used it a long time back for a short time for testing .

9. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi JerryM,

Watcher only runs at Start Up not as a constant running App or background task etc, unless you do a brief manual check. I've never had a problem with it, in fact it's been a very helpful App to have and has proved it's worth many times.

StevieO

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks to both for the reply. I think I'll give it a try.

Jerry

11. Minsak

Minsak Registered Member

Just visited www.snoopfree.com,

My first impression is that this software has a wierd looking homepage. All kind of red and blue big labels on things it is supposed to help with or against. Can this software be trusted?

Did check it against the list at:
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

without finding it listed. In case it is safe software, is it then any useful?

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

There was an earlier thread discussing snoopfree and UnHackMe. It seems to be a good program.
    I do not have the knowledge to know if it works well or not. I installed it after reading the discussion, and it works without problems.

Here is the thread that I remember. There may be more. On page 2 of the thread it gives some detection information.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=94734&highlight=snoopfree
    Others here can help more than I can.

Jerry

13. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I've been using it for some time and I found it very useful. It gives you real-time information on programs that are trying to hook your keyboard, read your screen, or if there is an unexpected keyboard driver installed. You can check whether to allow or block this and future access for the programs, or even destroy their file right away. It's not malware at all.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  14. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

One particular nugget about SnoopFree is that it loads in the boot order before anything else by using the Groupname "System Reserved"! You need the LoadOrder (free) program from sysinternals.com to find that out.

-- Tom

P.S. I do trust the program - but only so far - as I have learned that it will only protect you from software that access the standard keyboard hooking interfaces in the kernel, not the other kernel data structures where the really nasty keyloggers can hide. It did find a hooking call from my ISP's Mail client software that I promptly denied - and it continues to block the illegal keyboard hook in the Mail Client's code! The best attribute of SnoopFree besides its functionality is that it is free, and for a freeware program does well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.