Good and Reliable Complementary Security Software to Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Aeolis, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

I want to use a complementary software to my current security solution. My system is as follows:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64
    Avira Antivir Personal 10
    CIS 5.3 (Firewall, D+, Sandbox and no AV)

I thought in the following names:

PrevX
    Immunet
    Panda Cloud
    ThreatFire

But, until now I was recommended to do not use Panda Cloud together with another antivirus as it is already a full AV solution (pbust told me it here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=292178&page=8 )

It seems that the other 3 solution are viable ones. I would like to hear your feedback (experience) with them, so I could come to my own conclusion on which is best for my system.

Thank you for your attention.

See you later,

Aeolis

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Sandboxie Paid

3. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

You don't need anything else. Your just going to bog down your computer. Just use a DNS to filter malware out if you want something else. Norton, Clearcloud and Comodo all are options.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yep! :thumb:

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Agree :thumb:

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sandboxie or another virtualization program is definitely recommended. Alternatively, you can enable AppLocker or something like that.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Agreed.

8. x942

x942 Guest

Disagree. IMO There are plenty of security options that do not add any performance issues such as: EMET, SRP/APPLocker, Safe Admin Tweeks, LUA, Windows 7 built in "virtualization", Execute Deny, Low-Integrity, and so on. Their are also plenty of tools such as sanboxing that do not affect performance that much.

Again this IMO and doesn't reflect everyone :D

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :)

10. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Those are fine but I'm talking about added products not built in Win 7 tweaks. The OP did ask for extra software not tweaks. Which with what he already has are unnecessary. Common sense will block better than those and won't hamper useability ;)

11. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Zemana would be a good choice. Keylogger protection and a whole lot more...:thumb:

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what about prevxo_O :thumb:

13. tipo

tipo Registered Member

your brain!

14. x942

x942 Guest

True enough ;) Sandboxie is pretty lightweight though. but Maybe he should substitute those tweaks for the software. @OP Using something like SRP/APPLocker would greatly improve security at no performance cost! I too run lots of realtime software (Avast!,PrevX, SAS, Geswall etc.) but I don't mind the 15 second lag at boot. If there are no conflicts or serious lag you do not HAVE to remove the programs but it could help speed things up. Others will disagree with this but IMO as long as it doesn't cause conflicts, hinder security, or cause serious lag or instability then it should be fine to have it running.

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Don't install anything, don't cripple your life with installing something which will never jump in.
    Avira Personal + Comodo will provide bulletproof security.

16. Engineeringfun

Engineeringfun Registered Member

Totally agree :thumb:

17. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Exactly! Its already enough.

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

If you are a safe surfer and don't download any pirated material you are already set. If the former is not the case you really should have keylogger protection which you get with Zemana. It doesn't slow the system (or surfing) down and is very quiet.

19. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

Thank you all for your feedback. My goal with this post was to find a security software solution that could be complementary to my security system. I am worried about free AV detection rates (mainly Avira Antivir Personal), so I was looking for something that could improve it's detection even more without slowing down my system.

But, what I have understood about your comments is that you really think that what I have is enough and I don't need anything to add to it.

Do you really think that none of the mentioned above security software (in the first post) could improve Avira Antivir Personal general malware, spyware, virus etc. detection rates?

Thank you for your attention once more.

See you later,

Aeolis

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Too erratic and inconsistent.;)

21. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Avira has a high detection rate usually in the upper 90 %. Any unknowns will get sandboxed by comodo. So your fine.

22. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I´think you already have very good resident protection with Avira and CIS. You can add a backup program in case something unexpected happens (malware infection, problems after installing some program or update, unwanted settings change...).
    You can try for instance Keriver 1 Click Restore free (very simple, and allows you to restore from the boot screen, without the need of a boot cd).
    I think Hitman Pro and/or MBAM (both on-demand) would add some "power" to the already very high detection rates of Avira.:thumb:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  23. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

Thank you all again. But, regarding to real-time solutions, does any of the above (first post) software fits my needs? Or are they really overkill or the simply do not improve Avira Antivir overall detection rate?

@AlexC: I do have Hitman Pro (paid version) in my system, but its a reactive solution. I was looking for something to improve in real-time Avira Antivir Personal overall detection rates.

Thank you all.

See you later,

Aeolis

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

A case could be made for adding Prevx to the mix.

25. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

You might want to change how you are wording this, because adding any of those solutions will not improve Avira's detection rates. Avira's detection ratio can only be improved by Avira. Same with other products. ;)

Adding either one of them would improve overall protection of your PC, but sometimes more is not always better. Try to keep it light. Add a DNS like ClearCloud or maybe a regular antiphishing solution such as Panda URL Filtering or TrafficLight.

My setup advice:
    Avira Free (realtime, high detection ratio)
    Comodo Firewall w/ Sandbox & D+ (powerful firewall, behavioral analysis, HIPS)
    ClearCloud OR Panda URL Filtering (extra antiphishing protection)
    Prevx Free w/ SafeOnline [Facebook Edition] (optional; extra overall detection, antikeylogger)

What more could you possibly need? You wouldn't need to buy Prevx because Hitman Pro has Prevx's engine. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.