Gone Back To Ewido 4.0!!!!

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Rickster100, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

DooGie is correct. You can disable the service, ie. the guard.exe, manually from services, assuming you have unselected the 'block termination of AVG AS' in the resident shield settings.

2. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

Thanks lordpake. However it is best to set it to manual. It still doesn't run at startup but there is one less step to enable it. If it is set to manual then you just have to right click on the relevant service then select start. If it's set to disabled you have to go to properties of the service first and select automatic or manual then start it.
    Just find it a bit faster doing it my way.

3. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello DooGie, lordpake,

I think you are both missing the point of this thread. The point is "guard.exe" has to be set to automatic if you want to use AVG-AS now. In the 7.5.1 versions unless this service is running on your system you cannot use it. If guard.exe isnt running AVG-AS is useless and throws a wobbler. In previous versions a user could easily disable guard.exe and avgas.exe at startup - useful if you used AVG-AS as on demand only and still use its functions.

You both have suggested you like to have guard.exe in either manual or disabled startup - which is of course fine - but then you both have to go to the bother of going into your services setup to start it before actually running the program. And as previously reported in other threads if you dont start the guard service you get the "Connection to service failed. Please reinstall AVG Antispyware 7.5" error message. I cannot be bothered continually changing the guard service via services in order to run AVG-AS.... Thats why im running Ewido 4.0.

Im sure there are plenty of users happy running the latest version of AVG-AS as it stands. It is a very good product, but the changes that have occurred dont suit my needs any longer. If you both are happy using AVG-AS now thats absolutely fine with me. I just wanted to clarify my point of view, and why I posted this thread back in July.

Attached Files:

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Starting AVG AS guard manually
    Code:
    net start "AVG Anti-Spyware guard"
    start /wait avgas.exe
    net stop "AVG Anti-Spyware guard"

Ewido command line scanner
    :)

5. Rickster100

Hello lucas1985,

Thanks for that! Still a bit of messing about to be done with the service there though! You can call me lazy if you like! All the same, Ill stick to Ewido 4.0 for "hassle free operation" for now!!!! *puppy*

Cheers! :p ;) :D

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Of course, stick to what works for you ;)

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This sounds great. I went to filehippo to download but could someone tell me the difference between 4.0.0.172c and 4.0.0.172 ?

thanks

8. Rickster100

Hello acr1965,

The former Ewido Mods would be able to answer that question, but I seem to remember the main difference between 4.0.0.172 and the later "c" version was a major bugfix relating to the realtime shield that had a tendancy to disable intermittantly even when the user had it enabled.

The "c" version is the later build of the 2 (it was released a few months after) and this is the one that should be downloaded. Once installed and then updated a newer version 4.0.0.201 takes its place after a reboot; as described in post #6 of this thread. ;)

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Very helpful and informative reply. Thanks.

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I downloaded the 7.5 version a few days ago to give it a shot. I too just want to use it for a manual scan.
    Don't remember the exact order of what I did but I use WinPatrol Plus. It always asks if you want this process to run at start up. I put no.
    Also shut off the guard in their GUI and auto updates.
    It works. Nothing is running unless I want to do a scan.
    After the scan it all shuts down with no traces left of it being on.:)

11. duckbill

duckbill Registered Member

I,m using the batch file. You dont need to do anything to services once its set to manual and you have the resident shield disabled.

I have even changed the icon so the only thing different is two windows opening when using batch file but soon as you close the program nothing is left behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.