Going back to Windows

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wutsup, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

So I stopped using my gaming PC which had Windows Vista and used an Old macbook with tiger 10.4.11 for awhile. On the Vista pc I used threatfire and sandboxie.

But I'm going back to Windows and ordered a laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and looking for a light set up.

Do I need real time protection? I'm thinking I could use just use Windows firewall since I'm behind an Actiontec router with just hitman pro and MBAM as on demand once in awhile. Would that be enough or should I use Sandboxie or some similar program again like I did on my gaming pc?

Sorry for the long post, regards, wutsup.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Threatfire + Sandboxie is a great combination, it's basically what I use (Mamutu + Sandboxie) and I've never seen any malware get through that setup.

I would suggest you keep on with that setup and also consider adding EMET.

With those three programs I really doubt anything's going to be getting into your machine.

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Yea I'm probably going to just use Sandboxie 64 bit, hitman pro, and MBAM free. I haven't been keeping up with all the updates and what new security programs are out now since over a year ago so I have to catch up.

I will admit that using a macbook, even if it was and old OS version, it was sort of nice knowing you don't really need an antivirus as malware is less prevalent in the os x environment.

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Is Threatfire still supported? How would this setup be for windows 7 64 bit?

Sandboxie 64 bit
    Threatfire
    MBAM free on demand
    Hitman pro free on demand
    windows 7 firewall
    max UAC

5. Hungry Man

I don't know if threatfire is still supported. If it works like Mamutu that's a good setup. Sandboxie + Threatfire restricts programs, which stops malware and exploits. MBAM/HMP cleanup the broken payloads.

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Yep, I already know how their work since I've used that set up in the past but I rememeber hearing that threatfire was going to be stopped or something.

7. Hungry Man

Oh, I haven't followed that, sorry. I use Mamutu so all I know about threatfire is it's similar.

8. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Hey Hungry how would you rate ths setup

Sandboxie 64bit
    threatfire(If it's stil supported I might use it)
    MBAM Free for on demand
    Hitman pro " " "
    Windows 7 firewall
    Max uac

9. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Sandboxing is becoming available in 64 bit now. Geswall should have thier next version out who knows when.

10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Someone had mentioned recently that threatfire was still being developed. Don't know if any new editions are out yet.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well even if it is still being developed . . . at the current speed, don't expect anything amazing :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.