Go on, what could happen?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by QBgreen, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

For all of you "bleeding edgers" :rolleyes: out there, PC Tools has re-released version 6.xx of Spyware Doctor. Vast improvements are assured, you bet!

Could be as potentially rewarding as the time that I dropped a live soldering iron on my bare right foot. :ouch:

Lookit: http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Your post scares the hell out of me ! Version 6 ! :argh:

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wont be trying that.
    sure i could and wont have nothing to lose due to backup images but not worth the time.
    vast improvments are assured, this time it only crashs 5 your computer 5 times a day compared to 10 from the pervious version.XD

4. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

The truly sad thing here is that this program used to be a killer app not all that long ago. If you look at what SD is supposed to tackle, your anti-malware minded self is impressed. Now it's become a digital butt muffin. :gack:

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think maybe it's not totally dead yet, because it has an addon to incorporate ThreatFire.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Regardless of any (IF ANY) 'improvements' they would make, from my perspective it's just not worth the risk.

Ever since (and possibly before that) version 5 came out, it has been a piece of junk. Loss of internet connections, crashes, removal of the OnGuard by Pctools because of problems (basically the 'active protection') for a while, (temporary ?) removal of the site guard and cookie guard, the 'free Google starter pack' with limited spyware signatures, not fixing serious problems for a long time, new versions with new problems. To name just a few things.

And the lousy businesss ethics of Pctools, examples being releasing a complete beta as a final release, and the way they pushed an auto-renewal policy.

I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you're sure you are able to restore to a previous flawless image. And even then I would fail to see the point in installing/testing ANY of their products.

7. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Sorry, for OT, I just wanted to ask, does Spy Sweeper have auto-renewal? I'm not sure about this.

Thanks

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I once bought PC Tools registry cleaner for a one year subscription. A year later I received an e-mail from them advising me that they were automatically renewing the app for another year, and had charged it to my Visa, (as agreed)
    Of course I wasn't aware of any agreement, and after searching many PC Tool links I found a support e-mail page where I told them not to renew under any circumstances. Luckily after a few days I received another e-mail telling me the renewal was canceled. It seems that when you buy their product on line, you must be vigilant. Somewhere in the GUI of the sale page there's a checked radio button agreeing to auto renewal, and it's up to you to see it and uncheck it if you don't want auto renewal. Pretty slick eh? :thumbd:

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Yes, but you can get out of this. Just contact them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.