GM Kills $10 Million Facebook Ad Campaign Because It Didn't Work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Looks like bad news for Farcebook. Mind you, I've never used it & I still don't know what all of the fuss is about. I am not sure why the GM ads haven't worked. I suspect that the vast majority of Facebook users either aren't old enough to drive or are not yet in the socio-economic bracket to put a down payment on a new Camaro.

AOL

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

this probably has nothing to do with facebook, and more to do with GM. people aren't shopping for cars on facebook, they're there to interact with their friends/acquaintances etc.

not all ads/products are created equal across all sites - some will do better on some sites than others.

agreed?

3. Daveski17

I honestly don't know. How many average FB users are desperately on the market for a brand new Vauxhall Insignia? Maybe it is just GM's marketing department that has got it wrong. I wonder how they compare with Ford, Toyota or Mitsubishi?

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There's not much surprise here. I disagree that it didn't work simply because it's on Facebook. Facebook is actually a very good place to use advertising, and many multi-million/billion dollar corporations use it with success. I have not seen the ads in question as I treat Facebook with the same respect I show toxic waste dumps, but it's quite likely the thing just failed to get much attention, or it could have just been a crappy campaign.

Look, it's a car company advertisement, it's not like those aren't seen 30+ times a day on TV. Most car company commercials are trash on TV, they can be just as trash on a computer screen.

5. Daveski17

6. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

For those that have sufficiently secure Facebook settings along with other Browser-side protection should not be concerned with who advertises on Facebook.
    With the IPO on us or within days, advertisers will come and go.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

8. Daveski17

Like I said, most Farcebook users probably aren't old enough to drive anyway. ;)

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Facebook can be quite useful depending on what you're advertising i guess, as others have said, advertising cars in a website where everyone is just hanging around and just a few "might" be interested in purchasing a car can be hard.

But i've seen lots of startup companies have a great time getting their company known through social media. :thumb: :thumb:

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would suspect the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.