glitch

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi everyone
    I have a question about my computer.when i turned it on this morning it had a screen with just writing on it--an error message that said press any key to continue so i did and nothing happened.i pressed every key yet nothing so i turned it off.then i rebooted and the screen came on and it looked strange and it said safe mode so i shut it down normaly and rebooted and it was ok except it had changed my desktop all around --mixed all the icons up and they were in a different order than before.Since then it's not happened again.Does anyone have any idea of what happened?It was not something i done to it.
    thanks
    rita

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It could be your video card is going bad. Have you checked your device manager for errors?

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Ron
    no,I havent.How do I do it?
    thanks
    Rita

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Go to control panel/performance& maintainance/administrative tools/event viewer/system, and read the entries and see if you can see one that relates to the problem you had. If nothing there check the application tab for any possible app. failures. in win. XP

bigc

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi RitaAnn,

Your icons getting mixed up and moved around after going into safe mode is quite normal. Safe mode goes into a low resolution (either 640x480 or 800x600) and it tries to fit all the icons on screen. It can't so it shuffles them around any way it feels like. You will just have to reorganize them again.

What version of windows? When did the message occur? During the black DOS like boot up period? During the windows loading screens? After the desktop is reached? What did the message say?

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Devinco
    I have windows Me.I just now clicked on help and support to find out how to check device manager and i couldnt do it the error message said:windows cannot access specified device path or file.you may not have approaite permission--this is the help program for windows .I dont know what is going on--thanks for your reply
    rita

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Bigc
    I have windows ME not xp.thank you for replying
    rita

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sorry I couldn't help, do you have an admin login on your comp? if so you might try useing that to access what you want.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I never used Win ME. I am not familiar with the control panel.
    We'll figure it out sooner or later rita.

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thanks everyone
    I will check out the links and see what i can find out then i'll post back and tell you what i found
    again thanks
    rita

13. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I found what looks to be the error message here but it seems like a different problem.
    Here are some other links: here, here , here, here, and here

Nothing listed has your symptoms exactly, but they are close.
    These were found by searching google with your error message. It is a very useful way to find solutions to difficult problems.

Unfortunately, I can't help more because I am on XP.
    Good luck! :)

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello, rita :) . i just did a search concerning this thread topic and i found the following links. as im not a computer expert perhaps someone can give you some advice about following their ideas?
    http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/43741.html

If you are not sure which chipset you have, use the belarc advisor from www.belarc.com to find out.

Update all device drivers to the newest ME compatible versions from the manufacturers’ websites, if you suspect a driver problem or a device or card is not working properly. (If in doubt try www.drivershq.com ) If all this hasn’t solved your problem and especially if you are experiencing video, vmouse or VMM (01) problems, update your chipset drivers. Some of the common chipsets are:

VIA – update the 4 in 1 drivers at http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2
    Intel - download an updated ATA storage driver from http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/driver.htm
    Sis – http://www.sis.com/support/index.htm
    NVidia – http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
    AMD - http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_3559_689,00.html

Some of these chipset manufacturers prefer that you obtain updated drivers from the manufacturer of your motherboard rather than directly from them.

15. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Rita,

I am not sure if ME is nearly the same as SE but just in case it is, this is to check any of your Devices.

Double click on Control Panel -Double click on System icon -click on Device Manager - click on the Plus(+)sign of whichever of the devices you wish to check the health of - Then Right click on the individual device - click on Properties, and it should then tell you if that particular device is,
    (This device is working Properly).

Good Luck,

Regards.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

17. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Common behavior with W9.x based PCs. Run scan disc to check for problem.

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Micro
    thanks for telling me how to check the things in the device manager;i went down the list and checked each and every one of them and they were all working properly
    thanks
    rita

20. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Iceni60
    i checked out your link but when this happened to me i kept pressing keys and nothing happened.i just had to turn the computer off but it sounds like about the same thing.so far it has'nt happened again but i'm checking it out because it could.thanks alot for your help -appreciate it
    rita

21. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Devinco
    thank you for your help.yes all these you found do look similar.i'll keep searching
    thanks
    rita

22. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thank you
    rita

23. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

24. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Ritaann, your system simply “spat the dummy” for a moment. By hard powering off your computer windows figured there may be something wrong, so on your next boot up it placed itself in "Safe Mode" a limited recovery area, thus if you had just installed something that caused windows to throw a dummy spit, in Safe Mode, most of the time you would be able to uninstall the offending software. When you then rebooted your system from Safe Mode, it has then returned to normal mode.

In regards to your icons moving, this has been addressed by Devinco.

Every now and then Windows can just do this, less likely to happen with XP, however it still can, especially installing new or unknown software...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

25. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Blackspear
    i guess thats what happened.I had installed a reg cleaner awhile before and didnt like it and had uninstalled it so your probaly right because everything seems fine again.I dont know why i couldnt access help and support though--im gonna go and check it again right now and see if i can today--will post back
    thank you
    rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.