Gizmo's Top Freeware 2011 - Vote

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Serapis, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

Sandboxie's on the list

Vote ends 31st Mignight US CT

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

thx for the heads up....it's tough to choose though......all the good ones are listed........sbie is up against full featured powerhouses like cis and avast av.......

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'll pass. That site has maintained some good articles. But otherwise has changed a lot from what it was a few years back. It seems like their agenda has changed from providing useful content to generating traffic. The egos of many of the mods leave a lot to be desired as well.

4. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

i voted sandboxie..
    Couldnt vote CCleaner :(

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@ Serapis ... Thanks for the post!

An observation about vote rigging...
    It occurs to me that some manipulators might see this warning, and decide to target a competitor or rival product by initiating a "false" campaign, in order to get Gizmo to delete it from the poll.

Hopefully they are watching out for that. :)

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Can Sandboxie truly be called freeware though? After 30 days there is a delay every time you start it. As a user with a paid license myself I am not trying to say anything bad about it, but does freeware really apply here? o_O

7. acr1965

It looks like this thread had some posts edited out. Usually when that happens there is a reason stated as to why the editing took place, eg "off topic posts removed". Why were the other posts edited out and why no mention of the editing by the mods here? I think there were several posts about others not wanting to participate in the survey for various reasons. If off topic, that's one thing. But secrecy in editing gives a different impression.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The author himself says it's shareware. -http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?FAQ_Licensing

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, imho, Sandboxie should not be on that list. God bless it and Tzuk, but it's not freeware. I'd also agree that Gizmo's is not what it once was. I've come across many all but dead programs and even some shady ones that were rated high. Some of the lists need to go as well, if nobody is going to keep them updated.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Sorry about that... we usually try to provide reasons, but, sometimes we don't get to it. In this case, the removed posts were reported by a member here as taking the thread off topic, i.e. this thread is about making people aware of the vote, not about whether people dislike that website, their forum or their staff. We really don't want people to post complaints about other forums here. It tends to start forum wars where people who like the other site end up coming here and defending their site.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

MSE is the biggest breakthrough on that list, without it, we wouldn't have progressed towards built in AV in Windows 8.

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Indeed that is the case and my apologies for not getting to it earlier. The posts were off topic and were removed as such. As simple as that.

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Sandboxie has my vote.I would have voted CCleaner as well if I could have becasue its a reliable free program that gets updated often.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Doesn't SBIE offer a non-paid version?
    That's free.

I don't necessarily understand the way they have described SBIE in parenthesis... "Security application isolation."
    sbie gizmo vote.jpg
    As written, it looks like they're saying SBIE isolates security applications.
    Probably "Isolation security application" would be better.
    Nitpick nitpick. ;)

On the site's vote rigging note, wherein they said if anyone organizes mass campaigns for a pet program, the program will be deleted from the poll... I expressed concern that manipulators might see the warning, and decide to target a competitor by initiating a "false" campaign, in order to get Gizmo to delete it from the poll. I emailed him about that and he replied that the scenario that occurred to him as well, and that he would "certainly do some forensic work before removing any product from the poll".

I sleep more comfortably at night knowing these things. :)

15. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Sandboxies "free version" does more for users than most paid versions of other security applications, in my opinion. Choosing to vote for Sandboxie was easy.

Bo

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Commodo's not as popular as I thought.

17. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Agree with elapsed, MSE is the best freeware I've encountered this year.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Looks like it closed with MSE on top.

19. acr1965

That is kinda funny, esp. if MSE is declared the winner. MSE will most likely not even be allowed in the poll once Windows 8 is released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.