Giveaway - PC Win Booster

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zmechys, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@pegas
    You're so right my friend.:thumb:

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I tend to disagree. My experience says even with all the options enabled in the registry cleaner I can clean away anything without any problem.:)

3. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

4. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Is there a difference between REGISTRY CLEANERS and REGISTRY OPTIMIZERS?

I've been using Auslogics Registry Cleaner without any noticeable issues on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 computers.
    I did not use any Registry cleaners on my Windows 8 computers, but...
    After a few "refresh", "reset", and even "clean install", I started using Registry Cleaners and Optimizers again.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

In very rare cases deleting empty software keys can cause problems.

Some software actually creates an empty software key - that it is to say it creates a key in the software section of the registry with no data, and if that key is removed, the software won't run. When you launch the program it will try to reinstall itself due to the missing key and this may happen also when starting Windows, opening Explorer or launching some other software.

It is for this reason that by default in Auslogics Registry Cleaner and Vit Registry Fix the option to scan for empty software keys is disabled, and there is no option to scan for these keys in Registry Mechanic.

6. roger_m

Usually not, but in some registry defrag programs are called registry optimizers.

This should be the case, as it is one of the very few safe registry cleaners.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Agree with years and years of use and never a single issue.:thumb:

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's my experience too. And hopefully it will continue for many years to come :thumb:

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Indeed, it may not "digg" as deep as some of the other ones, but that's what makes Ccleaner safer to use IMO. :)

10. roger_m

That helps, but also it has a lot to do with being well written.

There are plenty of registry cleaners which don't do a very thorough scan and give false positives.

It does help that it doesn't have a deep scan, as deep scans by their very nature do tend to produce false positives, with Registry Mechanic being the only exception to this I can think of right now.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I understand now. But with Ccleaner you can see to which software the empty keys belong after scanning. And in my experience the keys always belongs to uninstalled software. After cleaning those no problems occur. So I still stand by my point.;)

12. roger_m

You can in almost all registry cleaners.

If you are only removing keys realted to software you have uninstalled you will have no problems.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You're right my friend.:)

14. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

When I first found out about registry cleaners, I was rather impressionable and then had the "zomg must clean computer 3465236 times a day" mindset. Then I had read a few articles about them not doing any good and there was one point that I always found to be absolute, well, at least appear to be. That point is, if you have hundreds of thousands of registry entries, and you clean out say 150, what percentage difference is this? Say we have 200,000 registry entries and clean 150. That is only a 0.00075% difference. Are you really going to notice that difference? I don't claim to be an registry expert, but from what I know, the registry is loaded into ram at boot. Is a registry that is 0.00075% smaller really going to save any time at all at boot? As of now, I hardly ever use a registry cleaner and I'm not sure what I believe. I know personally, I've never felt a difference but a part of me just wants to make my pc "clean".

15. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

One reason people use registry cleaners is because they want the feeling of cleanliness and tidiness. Computer doesn't care at all but cleaning the registry gives the user peace of mind.
    Another reason is an actual belief that cleaning the registry makes the system faster and/or more stable. It doesn't but the placebo effect comes to the user's 'aid' and convinces him/her that it does.

People are very naive and/or not very familiar with PC's/IT technology and readily believe many claims without any proof. Marketing departments take full advantage of that. This is why so much sub-par or downright garbage products are popular and considered good. And I'm not talking only about software.
    Such optimization tools are just an example. There are many such suites/programs because many people think they work, so they buy them which makes profit for the author. Every at least semi-competent software writer should know how useless registry cleaners are but they are too lucrative to simply be defeated by something old-fashioned as... integrity or principles.

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I actually agree with Night_Raven on this. I generally don't recommend the use of them since the risk isn't worth the little benefits (if any) Sure, you can do just fine with 'safe' registry cleaners but FP is common in registry cleaners...differentiating factor being the impact/severity of the FP. Any user intending to use 1 needs to be aware of the purpose he/she is using it. If the goal is to 'speed up' PC, there are far better things to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.