Give me a AV, or give me death.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Little dramatic but I have come full circle. I have to admit some products are really good but I realize at least for me, nothing will replace a good AV or Suite. Regardless of the vendor. Products that virtualize or products that recover on reboot are only one thing, " BORING".

I found I missed coming home each day and popping open my suite to see what it might have found, what it updated and just plain interaction with it. It is my toy.

The other products work, dont get me wrong, but damn, I was using my computer for regular stuff and lost my attavhment to it, that I get with a AV or Suite.

Say what you want, but I like knowing "My Buddy" is waiting on my daily check-in.

Perfect? Maybe not, but they will always have their place in my heart.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Seek help! :blink:

3. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Good one, Jeff :thumb: , and a excellent choice as well, if I may add :D

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I agree. After trying many different solutions, I like having an AV.

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Good post trjam. :D
    I'm guilty of the same little pleasure and I like it.
    One of the reasons I participate in distibuted computing.
    Usually at night I check out our teams standings, how many work units I've completed, credits received and the teams posts. Even though it's done for science, it's just fun checking things out!

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Haha back to the good old AV...nice.

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Try death and let me know how what its like.

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

well a bit over the edge with the end it all routine & having some heath issues (heart) take it easy & just get your self an AV for crying out loud. Let's hope you find a good solution & you'll stick around. BTW try Norton LMK what you think,

9. 031

031 Registered Member

Wish you had trend micro :D :D :D
    look here

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Trjam what happen to geswall got boaring ha.:D The software that sits there with nothing to do until it has something to say=falling a sleep on keyboard from No screaming alarms or pop ups or scanners to run.:blink:

11. 337

337 Registered Member

:ouch: That was harsh! lol
    There is an entertainment value to tinker with and debate AV programs. God knows this forum is a testament to that!!:thumb:

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes, and this is actually an A vs B thread of a macabre sort, with no useful destination in sight. If no one else has closed it by morning I probably will.

Pete

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I don't see what the real issue would be with not using an AV. I have tried most of the security apps found here or castle cops. Most work to some degree, some work very well, and some just suck. And then you can speak of the interface to each in the same fashion. Not always do the top performer be the 'joy' to use.

I liked the old f-prot. It did not find all things and had a few FP's, but it brought everything to a screeching halt if it did find something.

I use Avira now for mostly the same reasons. Basic interface, minimal interference, yet it does pick up just about every piece of malware I have tried to see if it finds.

I realize hips is probably a necessity to be truly safe in some fashion, as is a router/nat/firewall scheme of some kind. But not everyone wants to continue trying every new thing that comes down the pike, each seemingly being successively more and more involved and also cumbersome.

Probably for many here, myself included, there is a strange pleasure in learning new things because it reveals your feeble knowledge and allows growth, even with the pain of weeks of learning a new method.

I hope there is a day on the MS platform when an AV as we know it is useless for the masses. A threatfire type of psuedo-intelligent tool that just works and does not require average user to know, will undoubtedly be a cure. And then those of us here will wish to know how and why it does/does not work, and want many many customizations so we can have control over an OS that has lost control of itself.

Then again, maybe one day there will be only console games and we can all move on to a NIX OS and use compatible applications.

Sul.

14. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I respectfully disagree and that was my intent. Close it as you see fit. The reality is, I own a valid license for just about all, and feel any of them fit the bill. To me, all AVs are very close and debating things like A or B is fruitless.

16. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I have tried various forms security software but I always end up with an a-v because it doesn't require me to anything other than when there is an infection (very, very rare).

I was thinking of starting a thread "what's the most impressive software you don't use?" To me, Defensewall, because it is so impressive but I can't stand the need to change the untrusted programme to trusted to update. Likewise, with other programmes I can't stand the pop-ups which put the onus on me to say good or bad.

I know it's not fashionable but I like blacklists which for the joe average user are more than sufficient.

Now, I just run Avira suite and Boclean. I like to think I am 95% protected and am happy to take a risk with he other 5% just so I don't have to interact with a security programme unless there is an infection. Back to using the PC and not worrying about milking that extra 5%.

Ian

17. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Hi Ian,

Wish not 2 bash your setup but last time i used BoClean it could not pick up on even one infection out of a hundred.

18. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Y not use A suite alongside your beloved Geswall? Would make a very strong combo.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree, but as long as I have First Defense-ISR, I am covered. Found 2 trojans though and they were verified at Jotti. I figured they were legit because Kav, Eset, and a few others backed it up.

Anyway I could not figure out how they had gotten through Geswall, then it dawned on me. A few times I would click the G icon to reopen unprotected and I bet that is when I got hit. So you are right about they go hand in hand.

20. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

I'm using Geswall and I'm not happy with it. I doesn't function properly unless I disable Vista's UAC. Why should I have to disable UAC, so I can "Disable Geswall Policies" from from the tray icon context menu? And you have to disable UAC to install it??

21. risl

risl Registered Member

I have to admit that there's some certain feel of excitement when you "can't be sure".. though F-secure disagrees but :D

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

LMAO i agree

23. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

If you find BORING virtualisation or restoring softwares, you have to try a real HIPS and to set it. :D

24. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Just look at my signature, that is all you need.

Ice

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this isnt about any specific product, but the type. I am just saying give me a goold old fashioned AV or Suite and the heck with the rest. I missed the interaction.

Lodore, I did seek help, but they ran.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.