Giant Antispyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by maddawgz, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

You'll get a reply. Sometimes they're slow but I always get a reply.

Dave

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

At the beginning, Giant was very responsive. Nowdays, much less so. I certainly don't count on getting a response anymore, especially on the False Positives, so I have had to become more or less self-sufficient in determining whether a detecion is or isn't and FP. Lately, the FPs haven't been happening more frequently, on what I would consider pretty faulty signature logic. I hope they improve quickly because these kinds of FPs can cause real registry problems.

Rich

3. leland

leland Registered Member

For those trying to figure out the differneces and directions of these two programs, I have the following observations:

CounterSpy is aimed more at business customers where you are trying to protect an entire network of computers. The fact they sell a consumer version is more a by product than anything.

Giant on the otherhand has been designed from the ground up for individual computers; thus better geared towards consumers.

As for definitions, I have no clue how those are handled.

Leland

4. worldcitizen

Have a read of this everyone:

http://www.giantcompany.com/intro.htm?aspxerrorpath=/p_antispyware.aspx

Microsoft have acquired Giant!! A very good decision and it proves what many of us have been saying all along that it is a top notch product. Microsoft will be releasing a beta in a month via the Giant site so congratulations to all those who bought Giant.

This may explain the slow responses lately as they were in the process of doing a deal. I've got a 2 year license so I'm happy I chose this product.

Any comments?

Dave

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, I have my reservations.
    Will they be left alone to further develop Giant without adding MS;s famous "security" to it?
    Will this stop or slowdown the development of what was becoming a very good program and divert the developers?

I am glad, at least, thet MS recognise where there are gaping holes in their own products.

I do like Giant AS but will reserve my judgement until we gat a clearer picture.

Cheers. Pilli

6. muf

muf Registered Member

It's not all good news. Microsoft have said that the new version will be compatible with Windows 2000 or higher. If you recently purchased it and use Win 9x then i think you'd be a little miffed. Lucky for me i never got around to trying/buying it, otherwise i'd be one of those miffed people(WinME).

muf

7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek:

8. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I wonder where this leaves Counterspy in terms of access to definitions, Spynet, upgrades, &c.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I wonder if they're going to bundle this in with their antivirus, when they're ready with that.. I'll bet they'll throw together an everything-in-one product to compete with Norton.

I can just see support calls now: "I just got a blue screen when I started MS KitchenSink.." "that's a feature, your system is now secure against all virii, trojans, worms, spyware, adware, and keyloggers, both known and unknown!"

I'm kidding, of course :)
    But I think I'll wait a few months before considering Giant again.

10. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I wished I did too lol...well...we'll see but I don't see it much brighter than you:)

have a wonderful eve...

Inf

11. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

this will be the diffirent trail that CounterSpy referred to in relation to giant.

12. worldcitizen

In the press release Microsoft say that:

'In addition, key personnel from Giant will be joining Microsoft’s security efforts.'

So in the development area I believe we will still have Giant's key personnel involved but together with Microsoft which I think is a plus because of the added experience. I personally don't mind Microsoft taking over this. If it were Symantec I would be very worried.

Dave

13. CompuWOF

CompuWOF Registered Member

Hi there,

I thought you might be interested in this. I've crossposted it from 911cd.net forums. It's a quote by user L3th4l, hope they don't mind me crossposting it here...

So it seems that we can continue using Giant in CounterSpy clothing, at a cheaper cost, and still get the updates. I'm all for it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.