GIANT AntiSpyware 1.0.242[12-9-04] NEW

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eldar, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_McKenna

John_McKenna Registered Member

Hi people, strange first post I know but I've had recent experience of this new program as well. I like many others were very excited when I first used this but on further testing feel it has a long way to go to be among the Kings of anti spyware. I run a very tight ship so was both surprised and delighted when it found some 'SaveNow' crap.

I then tested it on a friends pc which I maintain once a month and it found the following:-

Possible browser hijacker (unknown) (high threat)
    Comet Systems Spyware (High threat)
    MediaTickets Hijacker (Severe)
    Kazza - bundled Spyware (he only has Kazza Lite)
    CoolWebSearch Hijacker (High threat)
    ISTBar Hijacker (High Threat)

Despite these finds I can assure you that none of these were present on his system. All tests were conducted after up-to-date scans of Spybot, Ad-AdawareSE, CWShredder and a2 found nothing. SpywareGuard and Spywareblaster are also installed and a HJT log revealed nothing wrong whatsoever.

Shame really, I use their Spam Inspector and was hoping for more than blatant false reporting to make a quick buck.

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

strong comment john. I suppose you never sent these " false positives" off to Giant software?

3. solarpowered candle

Thanks NAMOR thats a nice thread . Its great to hear from the developers/founders of Giant anti spyware

4. John_McKenna

John_McKenna Registered Member

I haven't as of yet. I'm willing to accept that they need this type of info to make it better but surely a reputable company such as Giant shouldn't be scaremongering people into purchasing their product? The program looks great and has some very nice features but it will have to improve greatly before pursuading me to part with my well earned ££'s. Their spyware lists will come in handy though in the mean time. :D

5. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

6. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

ISTBAR Hijacker was one of two FP i received....interesting as none of me other programs saw it including BHODemon

7. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Would be nice if you, could have or still can, post the Log of that Giant scan giving us the complete path along with the folder and particular file called out by Giant for each of these threats above..Makes no difference if you have those other products also that have scanned this PC you are helping to maintain..there are many remnants of each you mentions that could be just about anyplace on that PC including already quarantined in some of those other Antispyware apps..

8. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Yes, i know this is an old thread, ..... (there is news ! )

but i was not the only one that thought it was a potential product.

On 15 Dec. 2004 the Giantcompany was killed .. sorry aquired by
    Microsoft .

The oldtimers here will know what will happen with
    the people behind and the products itself now.

Let's look at some other anti-spyware then ....

Sorry i am the bringer of this news, but don't shoot the messenger !

:(

9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I think this has been already discussed.
    Also, MS is supposedly launching a free Antispyware product based on Giant technologies in a month or two.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

no13,

I wouldn't assume the product will be free, although Microsoft has been quiet on long term details. The current statement notes (emphasis added):
    Blue

11. spyaccess

spyaccess Registered Member

Obvouisly MircoSoft bought them out and will start offering the program integrated into WINDOWS!!!!!

12. solarpowered candle

the question being " can microsoft avoid the perception that it's using security as a tool to promote or favor its own products."

13. Socio

Socio Registered Member

So far this sounds like a winner, so I am going to give it a go.

Right now I run a combination of Spy Sweeper, Pest Patrol and Spybot S&D, each finds stuff the other does not for whatever reason. Perhaps I can replace at least two of them with the MS AntiSpyware, going to test for a few days and see. If I am able to run it first and then the others apps and the other apps consistently do not find anything I keep just it.

14. Naddude

Naddude Registered Member

Does anyone know if this Giant/MS Antispyware runs with Spyware blaster without a conflict?

I have been testing the new MS (GIant) antispwware for a while now and must say it has found more stuff then Spybot ever did. I do howeverfind that the real time function slows my PC's performance down. So if I am doing any dv editing or graphics I stop that from running. Other than that...very impressed!

15. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Warning I would not trust this software to do what it says!

I have been running it for a couple of days now with real time protection on. This morning after it auto updated definitions I did a full scan and it found no known spyware on my system. I thought great this thing is really keeping my system clean.

I decided to double check it with Pest Patrol and did a full scan with it and it detected 47 spyware. So for now I am sticking with my spyware triple threat of Spy Sweeper, Pest patrol, and Spybot S&D.

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If you don't me asking....what was the nature of the 47 spyware ?

17. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Mostly tracking cookies and spyware stuff like:

Bonzi Buddy
    com.com
    doubleclick
    targetnet
    doubleclick
    clickabiliy
    vioclicks

and a bunch more!

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

One of the main reasons I asked is because of the False Positive record Pest Patrol has. As far as those items you listed....it's not much help unless you can also show what location Pest Patrol found them in. When providing a Warning to members concerning a product....it helps to also provide just a little more info than "a bunch more".

19. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I understand Cookie cleaning is disabled in the Giant/MS Antispyware beta.

20. Rainwalker

You might want to do a websearch around Pest Patrol and false positives ;)

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Muah ? :)

I can do a simple search of Wilders and find plenty of PP FP's :eek:

22. Socio

Socio Registered Member

It found the cookies in the cookie folder of course and others in the registry, hkey-local-machine\software\classes.

It also appears it counts something’s more than once like bonzibuddy had 10 entries, this could account for the large detection number I received.

I also did not know that AntiSpyware did not look at cookies which were the majority of the detections by Pest Patrol.

23. Rainwalker

I should have been clearer.....i quoted you to further your point .....my comment for Socio :doubt:

24. wings

wings Registered Member

Snoopfree crashes programs. I had it on two systems. On one system it crashed Photoshop and cdrLabel (every 5-10 min or so), on the other Photoshop. I removed Snoopfree and problems went away. I used the latest version of Snoopfree. I contacted the programmer but he wants me to beta test. Sorry, I got a life, I don't have time to be someone's beta tester, even if the stuff is free. I rather pay for it knowing that it's stable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.