Ghostwall blocks my activesync

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by emazur, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emazur

emazur Registered Member

First off, I'd like to say thank you for making ghostwall freely available to the public.

I just did a reinstall of windows and decided to try ghostwall for the first time (I need a low-footprint firewall for this Win2k 800mhz / 320MB laptop). Using other firewalls I never had this problem, but after some frustration I discovered that ghostwall was the cause of activesync not being able to establish communication between windows & my smartphone via activesync 4.2 or 4.5. I didn't think to look there as I thought firewalls only affected internet traffic.

On MS page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx it says this:
    ActiveSync also uses the following ports for communication to/from these processes:

Inbound TCP:

Outbound UDP:

I wasn't sure how to figure out to set that up on ghostwall so I wound up uninstalling it. I saw the only thing being blocked in the ghostwall gui stats was UDP, so I inputted 5679 as the outgoing port, with the associated things as "any" and "allow" but it didn't make a difference.

2. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Make sure all your Local loop (Localhost) port traffic is also enabled for the application to perform self talk.

3. emazur

emazur Registered Member

Localhost has nothing to do with ghostwall right? It seems to be configured correctly, since after I uninstalled ghostwall activesync has worked fine

4. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Re-installing it probably re-activated the default rule for local hosts self talk. Also called loopback.
    i.e.: Rules for (127.0.0.1) and (0.0.0.0)

Remember to close port 0 & 1 after a fresh re-install. (check via GRC.com or auditmypc.com for those ports to see if they are closed and shielded).

5. arrrghhh

arrrghhh Registered Member

yea activesync does some weird things with ports. instead of opening all those ports, i just allowed the remote ip 169.254.*.*, all protocols/ports incoming/outgoing. worked like a charm. windows creates an automatic private ip address, so by allowing this address to go thru will allow your phone to communicate with your computer with one easy line in ghostwall. good luck.

oh and firewalls affect all network traffic, local and global. you're forgetting that you have a local network now with your phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.