Ghostsurf

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by controler, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

Not sure this has been discussed her yet but as I was surfing I came upon this software. Looks pretty cool. An All in one type solution.

http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/GhostSurf/

I did a search here and only turned up a DLL file posted by TonyCline
    in this thread. Is this DLL connected to Ghostsurf?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?action=search2

Features:

Here are just some of the great features of GhostSurf:

Anonymizes connection - GhostSurf hides who you are when surfing the Internet making you invisible to those that want to steal your personal information.

Clean up your traces - Using GhostSurf's GhostWipe, you can clean up all traces of where you were while surfing the Internet. GhostWipe can even 'scrub' the deleted files so they cannot be viewed or undeleted.

See the traffic that is sent to the web - In addition to blocking those that try to get your personal information, you can actually see what information was sent to the web.

Block popup ads - GhostBlock will block those annoying popup ads and even ads imbeded in web pages making your surfing more enjoyable.

Choose what information is blocked - You have full control over which web sites you want to block information from. This way you can allow information on sites such as your on-line banking or whatever you desire.

Support for multiple users - Share a computer in your household or office? GhostSurf can be used by the different user profiles allowing each of you to block just what you want to block.

System tray status - GhostSurf's real-time activity indicator in your system tray will show you just when GhostSurf is working.

Extensive documentation and instant help - GhostSurf is designed for everyone from the advanced programmer to the home novice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Works Under:

Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 3.x, Windows NT 4.x, Windows 2000 and Windows XP

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Controler.I checked out the website for Ghostsurf.I've never heard of it before.I looked at the EULA and there's no mention of ads or tracking.That's cool!I also noticed mention of a money-back guarantee.It claims to do a lot.Even scanning for spyware!It's an interesting tool.If it does all it says it does.I wonder what Tony has to say about that dll host-file you mentioned?Tenebril is mentioned.I can't remember where I heard that name/company before.

3. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Sounds too good !!

Controler....after you !! :D

regards,
    bill ;)

4. controler

controler Guest

Tester? is this where you heard of the company?

NONAGS Web Tools - Freeware
    ... kb) From Nonags (396 kb) Updated: Dec 28, 1999 Homepage Author: Enonymous Corporation ... B
    for Win9x/NT4 (1.02 mb) Updated: Nov 10, 1999 Homepage Author: Tenebril ...
    nonags.siol.net/webt32.html - 88k - Cached - Similar pages

Bill? I am going to give it a try.. :D

5. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Never got it to work. Used it about from the time it first came out (it didn't work, then, either) to the most recent version. Don't know whether it has anything to do with the OS (Me) or what.

I hear it does work for some people though.

6. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi,

Runnig WinXP Pro : no problem AFM but need digging into the parameters to get a good anonymity. Some interesting features.

Rgds,

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Controler.Yep that's probably where I saw that name.On a Google search for something.I remember seeing Nonags in a recent search also.Hope it works well for you.

8. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Jack!

Do I understand this to mean you use GhostSurf?

I have been curious about this program for some time. It sure seems to be a toolkit for sure. I have a few questions...

If I understood you correctly, (and you DO use it) how effective is it in its claim to find the appropriate proxy and do it almost on-the-fly - at least that's the way it's described.

The website claims, "GhostSurf protects you from being watched by your ISP." Does it use some form of URL encryption?

The "blast transfer" (sending your request through multiple proxies to assure a high speed) sounds great -- how well does that actually work in practice?

What is the "Spyware elimination" feature all about? Does it actually have an engine that searches for spyware and is it frequently updated?

Finally, how transparent does all this work? Is there a need for user-intervention so often that it severely disrupts the browsing experience?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you're using it, I would repect your opinion highly.

Best Wishes,

John
    Luv2bSecure

9. JacK

JacK Registered Member

10. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Jack,
    thanks for the info !! ;)

regards,
    bill :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.