Ghost Security Suite [Beta] V1.2?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by smith2006, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

2. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

Re: Is Ghost Security...

It is not good feeling if the safety of the computer depends on only one single person. :(

3. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

4. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Optimist,
    When dealing with small businesses (starting out and even some established ones) it is often the case that a lot (if not all) of the coding is done by one person. In terms of safety you need to evaluate that yourself of course but there is a simple way to minimise any perceived risk. When you evaluate or decide to purchase and use a program on offer make your decision based on its current state and not any future promises.

Jason has taken much longer that his usual time to deliver an update to the AppDefend beta, but looking at the current Beta on its technical merits it is still fairly good. There have been a few minor issues and some new kill techniques have been published that it doesn't block at the moment, but it is still a work in progress and still holds promise.

The competition have of course continued with their products but having more choice is healthy for both the consumers (us) and the software developers. I certainly haven't given up on seeing this product progress and mature, its just taking longer than I expected

5. Optimist

Hello Gottadoit,
    thanks for your statement. :)
    Optimist

6. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Sure thing, large companies like Microsoft with thousands of programmers and software engineers are a much "Safer" thing, when it comes to security... eh?

Well maybe not. Just think about how easy it would be for so many people to insert private code to do something unethical when so many hands are working on millions of lines of code... At least with small outfits you know who to blame when things go wrong...

Just a thought!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  7. Optimist

Obviously you have misunderstood me. It is well due to my bad English. I do not doubt the integrity of Jason! But the development of a security software can suffer, that the only developer is prevented (illness etc. under this.)

8. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Sorry to jump onto this thread, but what is SSM please? I have no idea and was wondering...

Thanks in advance.

9. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

SSM = System Safety Monitor (http://syssafety.com)

10. Hermescomputers

Well, yes. But you could also have a large outfit just as easily prematurely releasing meaningless updates just to keep people happy. I think it happens enough in the industry as it is. The fact is that even though this tool is still in beta it does a pretty decent job.

I think we should be more upset with Microsoft who develops O.S's without this sort of user process controls built in. (the main reasons why we as consumers are having to cope with viruses and poor security). I still have to see a good valid excuse why this Host based filtering has never been available to us from within an operating system. It makes me think that this is a rather convenient ommision considering how obvious a preventative measure it is...

11. [suave]

It's probably because MS designed the OS with the average user in mind. Most people wouldn't want to be bothered with this kind of protection and would just think Windows is stupid if things popup all the time asking for permission.

Let's face it, the average users vastly out number security freaks like us :)

So MS would rather satisfy the majority of users in order to make the money :rolleyes:

12. Hermescomputers

I agree fully but the issue is that we are not even offered the choice. The idea is that like other software they integrate into the OS. It could just as easily be a feature one must opt in to use. It would at least offer power users the ability to tighten up security up to a more acceptable standard and I bet a dollar to a donut we would have seen a hell of a lot less security related problems over the years...

13. Hermescomputers

Think if the average user actually knew how rather easily they could have prevented perhaps 60% of virus or spyware infection by simply having a simplified user interface to control Processes and registry activity that works and effectively provides the user with some decisions over which program is allowed to run and use the network. I think the customer base would actually feel more satisfied about MS products as a result. This even though they may not actually know how to use it. They would feel the Onus is on them to learn and master the technology just like they did DOS and the multiple iterations of windows...

In the end MS would actually make more money just because of the increased confidence in the user base... Perhaps not but it's a thought!:blink: :ninja:

14. [suave]

Don't get me wrong, I would be very proud if MS would give us a built in HIPS for Windows. And I agree, without the HIPS it is like they are selling us a car with a flat tire... it's just not complete without it.

But at the same time, adding the HIPS would only satisfy a small amount of users and just totally confuse the average ones. And for the amount of extra work they would have to do just to satisfy us security freaks... well, maybe MS just wants to take the easy way out.

I do agree that there are many average users out there who would pay attention to this type of security if they actually knew about it and what it would do for them. But MS doesn't think so... so no matter what we say, it wont change anything.

It would be cool if it were an optional security feature like Windows Firewall, like you mentioned. But at the same time, it would be a feature that only advanced users would use and probably cause problems for the average users if they enabled it by mistake. And MS knows that.

Look at Vista, I never used it yet but I saw a news report a few nights ago talking about how MS designed it for people who never used PCs before. Everything is so easy... blah blah blah... Forget about average users, they are targeting the absolute beginners. They're clearly not heading in the direction of pleasing us. ;)

15. Hermescomputers

Cant wait for the next iteration of GSS...:rolleyes:

16. Hermescomputers

Well I would tend to agree with you after all the effort they spend trying to train already highly skilled tech support staff to take care of us users!!!

Attached Files:

17. [suave]

You and me both! :D :thumb:

Edit: LOL @ the pic :p

18. berng

berng Registered Member

I'm in the 50's so I may not live long enough.

19. Optimist

Yes, this could get scarce!
    But I wish you a good health and a long life! :D

Edit: I am already 56 years old. ohhh ohhhh!

20. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Do like me, write your investment off...............i don't think it will released and with this mindset i can move one to other things instead of blaming myself constantly for having been stupid enough to buy something actually not released almost a year ago!........................and in the unlikely event that it will be released sometime in 2007, then it will be like getting something i never expected. ;) :D

21. berng

berng Registered Member

Sadly I have. Too many promises, too much time.

22. Hermescomputers

You might never see GSS in a fully completed state but at least you will never run out of Geritol...:D

23. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Having tried out GSS for a few days now I thought I'd see what everyone was saying. I can understand people wanting a finished product or even the next beta but so far I have been quite impressed - which is not something I could say about ssm ( hardly user friendly - far too much potential for allowing user error)

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I find ghostsecurity suite to be the most stable hips type program on my system. Its never caused me any problems and is super light on the resources. I was contemplating getting either system safety monitor or prosecurity but seeing as they both cause me problems i'm sticking with ghost security suite.

25. Hermescomputers

Administration simplicity does carry a lot of weight in providing a complex security perimeter. I would love to see GSS completed. I would be willing to pay decent $$$ for a tool could provide me real control over security and that also has longevity built into it. Unfortunately Microsoft is trying hard to kill such applications while refusing to integrate the functionality built into the OS. (See patch KB914784) that killed GSS in X64. Besides this is something that should be built in any O.S. sold to consumers. Imagine buying a house without doors or locks? Yet we let them sell us computers containing sensitive info without "US" having full control over how things are secured... crazy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.