Ghost can search its image - can ATI?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by drl, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drl

drl Registered Member

Hi.

I have used Ghost for a long time. To check that an image is usable, I reload a small test file back to my desktop from the image.

With Ghost, I can search for this file by name in the image. I have not found a way of doing that with ATI. I am using ATI 9. I created an ATI archive, but when I was doing my reload file test, I had to look through many levels of folders to get to the correct place. It did reload correctly, but I'd like to get there more quickly and more conveniently.

If I missed such a feature, please tell me where I can read about it ... cheers, drl

2. Bill U

Bill U Registered Member

It sounds like you are using the Files Backup. I'm not aware of a way to search for files within those. I found the files backup to be rather unfriendly and (a few versions ago) marginally unstable, so I quit using it. Instead I created a "Documents" partition. All files/documents that need to backed up are kept in this partition. I then schedule a full image backup of that partition. I can then plug that image, search it and copy files from it. The scheduled data backup includes a pre command that copies some outlook express files from the c:drive to the Documents partition. I do a separate periodic image of the boot drive.

Bill

3. drl

drl Registered Member

Hi, Bill U.

Thanks for the reply. However, I backed up the entire disk (containing only one partition), and then tried to look through the image, but I saw no method for searching ... cheers, drl

4. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

From inside Acronis True Image you can plug the backup file as "extra-drive". After plugging the image you can browse and copy the drive through windows explorer like every physical drive.

5. drl

drl Registered Member

Hi, VolkerNadolski.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I see how that works. I tried it and was able to search.

I notice the following difference between ATI and Ghost (2003). The Ghost procedure is a bit simpler: in Windows Explorer, I double-click the ".gho" file and Ghost reads in the file (if the image has been split, it cordially asks if I want to load the entire image -- I usually do). From that point I can search with a built-in mechanism in Ghost.

With ATI, I fire up the program (say from the Start button where I have placed a shortcut) and select the option to do the plug-in> Then ATI creates a drive ("G" in my case), does some fiddling, and then I can use the system search to look for a file/folder by name. I did not see any built-in ability in ATI.

In both cases, the majority of the wall-clock time is probably consumed in "loading" the file, whether as a newly-created drive with ATI, or more directly with Ghost. However, the entire process seems a bit smoother with Ghost, since I don't need to then invoke the system search.

I do like the fact that ATI uses an idiom from the system (a "drive"), which makes it familiar to Windows folks, and the external search ability gives a few more options. After I was done searching, I then "unplugged" the drive, and the drive letter seems to have gone away (I mention this because I once installed a utility that left a drive "hanging around" -- it was a CD caching utility as I recall). I am not sure what would happen if I neglected to do the unplug -- I am not asking about that, I'll try that next time. I am, however, pointing out that there seems to be more "manual" steps in the ATI procedure.

Thanks again for the pointer to the information ... cheers, drl

( edit 1: grammar )

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi drl,

With TI 9, it can be made slightly easier by right clicking a disk/partition image file from within Windows Explorer and selecting "Plug".

Regards

7. drl

drl Registered Member

Hi, Menorcaman.

Yes, I see now that as a new-and-apparently-only-for-tib-files RC menu selection.

Thanks for the tip. If I continue to use ATI, I'll almost certainly use that as a convenience ... cheers, drl

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

This comparison thread had been moved to the appropriate forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.