Getting Rid of Norton PC Checkup - Help Please!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by whitpet, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitpet

whitpet Registered Member

I just purchased Smart Security for a new Toshiba laptop. I was told there was no pre-installed antivirus, but that was wrong - Norton Internet Security was installed. I ran the Norton uninstall from the Start menu, which removed everything but "Norton PC Checkup." I then downloaded the uninstaller from ESET.com and ran it, but it did not get rid of this folder. I then downloaded what appeared the be the same uninstaller from norton.com, but it had no better results. I am unable to delete the folder because "it is open in another program". I've opened task manager, stopped the application, but still cannot delete. I went to "Uninstall Programs" in the Control Panel but there's nothing showing up for any Norton or Symantec Program, and nothing called "PC Checkup".

The ESET installer keeps warning me the Norton process is present and may interfere with proper performance. Bottom line, most of Norton is uninstalled and ESET is not installed, so I've not a laptop with no antivirus protection.

Any suggestions of how to get rid of this $&%##&% Norton leftover is very much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Norton leftovers are known to block ESS install. A suggestion to use a registry editor to search and delete all Norton and Symantec keys. Reboot and install ESS. There are several threads about ESS and Norton.

3. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

4. whitpet

whitpet Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. As usual, "mea culpa" once again. :oops:

Turns out the my laptop had a program called "Toshiba Laptop Checkup", which was nothing more than a re-branded Norton PC Checkup, with some files still carrying the Symantec name. Apparently, eset's installer was detecting these files, but the Norton Removal Tool avoided them. After I uninstalled this Toshiba utility via Control Panel, eset's installer was happy and life seems to be good. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.