Getting Ready For First Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rugmankc, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugmankc

rugmankc Registered Member

Just got my laptop back from repair, computer info in my signature.

Before I sent it out I deleted Acronis Secure Zone, repartitioned, and deleted personal data. Also, removed all restore points except the last one I made after personal data deleted.

Now that ASZ is no longer on my laptop's C drive, but is on my image backup that I am going to restore, will the restore repartition the C drive and restore ASZ as part of the complete restore procedure.

Any advice, or just do the restore. I have all personal data on hard copies and a thumb drive.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. rugmankc

It's all done. Restore went quick and 100% complete. Just had to do Windows and AV updates that came in after I sent laptop into repair. Also, deleted missing C drives in Windows Vista System Restore, activated System restore for new C drive, and created new restore point.

Nice to know it works.

Ken

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

And, we really appreciate you taking the time to tell us that it was successful.

Which build of TI 11 were you using for the restore? 8053 or the latest, 8101?

With 8053, the system restore on the C: partition was turned off after a restore. We have been wondering whether 8101 fixed this.

4. rugmankc

I am using 8053, since it worked perfectly for me I may not upgrade. Is there a reason I should?

Had no problems reactivating system restore and creating a new restore point. Deleted/Unchecked the two "C" missing drives in the restore window and checked/activated the new "C" drive in the window. I saw on this forum that specific problem, so I was prepared. No problem. Very happy and relieved, since we all know the backups are questionable until you actually do it.

Was somewhat optimistic before I started, since a month or so ago I restored a single folder from a backup to a different location in my Documents folder then deleted it. Just a test.

Ken

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I cetainly wouldn't tempt fate!

And thanks for that Ken.

6. rugmankc

dbknox,

Your Welcome

Ken

7. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Thank you Ken for your posts and informing us about your activities. It made me so happy, and made my day to know that :)

P.S Isn't TI just great? I love it and use it regularly to backup and restore my Ubuntu Linux and Vista partitions.

8. rugmankc

truthseeker,

I agree, it was easy, I'll do it more often and can experiment more freely knowing the program works GREAT for me. I did use the Bootable CD I made to do the restore. I'll keep doing it that way.

Don't remember if I said it took about an hour.

One other thing of interest to maybe someone. I had a 40GB ASZ partition on the C drive with a backup inside. I deleted it and repartitioned before sending the laptop out. ASZ was not part of my image backup. When I restored, ATI put an empty 40GB partition back onto the C drive. I will fill it with a new AZS backup. Don't know why it did that. Maybe because there was 40GB of unused space on C after my backup was restored and it just set that aside as a separate partition. I am no expert on this stuff. Either way it worked out, since I was going to recreate the ASZ and backup into it.

Ken

9. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Ken, create the VistaPE TI Rescue DVD with the Acronis TI plugin, because it uses the Windows drivers and is faster to backup and restore than using the Linux drivers one. When I use that instead of the Acronis Rescue CD, my backups and restores only take half as long.

10. rugmankc

Thanks truthseeker,

I'll look into that.

Ken

11. james21

james21 Registered Member

Hi Ken

Was the restore done on the Hard drive after it was formatted or was Windows still on it?

12. rugmankc

james21,

Windows was still on hard drive, and I restored from the bootable cd.

I think, based on the window instructions, the data is deleted before the restore takes place but no reformatting.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.