Getting new Win7 computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi all,
    I just ordered a new computer with Win7 64 bit, and will be moving my Win XP stuff over when it arrives. My question is whether or not I can run 32 bit software on a 64 bit system. I also have a 4 year old Epson scanner and a two year old Canon printer. Do you think their installation disk will be accepted when I try to install them? Thanks for your opinion in advance. :)

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, you can run 32 bit software on the 64 bit OS. Regarding your scanner and printer you will have to look on the manufacturers websites for Windows 7 64 bit drivers. Don't bother trying to install with the original CD that came with those devices - the drivers on those disks were created before Windows 7 and in the case of the scanner before Vista as well. Obviously the chances are better for the two year old printer than the four year old scanner.

3. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Ditto what Victek123 said...you shouldn't have much of a problem with printer drivers though...I found a complete 64 bit software package for my 4 or 5 year old HP all in one on HP's site..

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for you response. In other words download the latest driver and just plug them in?

5. Cimmerian

Install the driver first, then follow the on-screen prompts. If you get a Windows pop-up saying it's installing new hardware after you connect the USB cable, do not cancel it, doing so might corrupt the install.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

In the case of the scanner, I just remembered that there is software attached that goes into the main menu to click on so you can copy, or scan to file or e-mail etc. It's called the Smart Panel. I imagine I would have to use the disk to install that. I wonder if I can do as you said and install the Smart Panel separately. Thanks for your response.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. Cimmerian

I wouldn't use the disk, as Windows 7 wasn't released at that time and wouldn't be supported.
    Go to the support section on the Epson website, and see if your scanner is listed where they show software & driver downloads. Which model scanner do you have?

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

OK Thanks. I have an Epson Perfection 1660 photo.:)

9. Cimmerian

Took a quick look for you, Epson doesn't have a driver for your scanner, BUT, see as follows...

Q:

Does Epson have a Windows 7 64-bit TWAIN driver available for my scanner?
    A:

A Windows 7 64-bit driver for your scanner is not available from Epson. However, you may be able to use the VueScan software from Hamrick; it supports Windows 7 64-bit. Please visit the Hamrick web site for more information.

(Let us know how you make out.)

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Noooo.....twl845 where did your iMac dream go? :(

I have to ask ;)

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Glad you asked. I had customized an iMac the best I could and came up with an i3 3.06GHz Intel Core processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD, Radeon 256MB video card, 8x double-layer Superdrive, Student addition of Word, 3 years tech help, 4 USB ports for $1617 plus tax.
    Then after some more searching, decided to check out the DELL's again and liked the 8300. For $1297 plus tax you get an i5 3.1GHz Intel Core processor, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HD, Radeon 1GB video card, SoundBlaster audio, 16x CD/DVD burner w/free Roxio Creator 2011, 2 years free tech help, Word Home & Business, Adobe Elements, free 1 yr. online backup, 15 months McAfee AV (deleting), 6 USB ports. So I went with the DELL.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Obviously a better deal. Macs are rip-offs.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That was nice of you to check. Thanks. I will do as you suggested. I may just give my scanner to my Daughter if it's not going to be pleasant, and get a new one that will be 64-bit ready. I'll see how it goes. ;) I won't take delivery on the computer until about May 2nd, so it will be after that.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No they're not ;)

Apple engineers/designs the computers, they choose the hardware carefully, they have support for all their products just as any other company really.
    OK, not really any company. They also got the Genius Bar.

Though, I know what you are pointing at, the Price?

Right. I agree it should be (a little) lower. But I love Apple, I love how Jonathan have designed the Macs. And of course I love Mac OS X.

Yet I still don't own a Mac, funny huh :D
    Why? The price is the issue, but soooooon I will! :D

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I Understand ;). Though you will regret that you went with the DELL on June 6 :D

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, June 6? That's the beginning of the Conference where the new Lion OS will be discussed isn't it? Lion should be great. I just can't justify spending that much for about half the computer features compared to the DELL. My current pc is also a DELL. It is running well after almost 7 years. I just can't upgrade it to my current and future needs :)
    I fully agree with you about Apple support. That was the main reason I was considering an iMac.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

o_O Why would you love Mac OS X if you've never used a Mac? Have you even tried the OS?

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Of course I have tried it how would I other wise know that I love Mac OS X.
    Some of my friends have Macs, and I have also spent several hours in the Mac Store. Enough proof? ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello, Haha Indeed it is
    Understandable, but you should have waited until Apple updated the iMac and it probably would have been more comparable to the DELL feature wise I think.
    Neither can I, though mine is 8 Years old, but it's not a DELL ;)
    Yepp I haven't read a single bad thing about their support plan. :thumb:

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I looked at the printer material that I had saved, and I actually have had it about 4 years. It says on the specs that it's good to Win XP. I looked on the Canon web site and found there is one driver available since 2010 for Win 7x64. It reads:
    AOMWIN110EA23US.EXE
    Printer Driver add-on module ver. 1.10(Windows 7/7x64
    My question is about the word add-on in the driver above. Does this mean it is added on to the existing driver that came with the printer or does this driver replace the original driver? In other words when I hook up my printer to the new computer, do I just download this driver, or do I install the original driver first and add this one to it? Also, before I download drivers, do I have the printer on or off. Please excuse my ignorance, this is an area I've never had to deal with before and I'm a noobie to it. I've only installed new stuff and never ran into this re-install on new computers stuff. Thanks in advance again.

21. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Look, you do NOT need nor want any MS Office addins or similar crap for your printer. (And yeah, the notorious HP bloatware is one of the prime examples why people should avoid such stuff.)

22. Cimmerian

Alrighty, according to Canon, all you have to do is turn on your printer and hook up the USB cable to your pc. Let Windows install the printer using it's native drivers, then after that's complete, install the Canon printer driver add-on module. You should be good to go from there. Let us know how you make out!

23. Cimmerian

He's not looking for an Office add-on...he's questioning the "word" add-on for the driver, not an MS Office Word add-on.
    And while I agree that the complete HP suite is bloatware, you can customize what portions of it that you actually install, but you have to download the whole package to get what you want. I only used the driver, updater, and desktop utility where as to print, scan or copy from my desktop. All that imaging stuff was ignored.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Great! will do. Thanks again.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.