Getting "banned from forums" notice on one particular site

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by phkhgh, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Not sure which sub forum to post this in.
    Over last week or so, have gotten a few banned notices from the Mozillazine user forums. This is the only site (incl email providers) I've gotten a complaint about spamming them.

I've been a member for several yrs & never had a problem. Contacted their admin, as message suggests, but no replies in > a wk.

I typically don't shut off my pc, so my IP stays same for long periods.
    If I force my router to acquire a new address, can immediately log into Mozillazine w/o problem.

Their latest msg was

At the time of the message, IP address being shown on address lookup site: 99.30.107.xxx which resolved to: dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net

Latest incidence was 4/4/11 @ 10:20AM CST - Mozillazine forums

I take great precautions to secure my system - everything's up to date, Vista, Firefox 4, Kaspersky IS 2011 - all using higher than normal security settings. Kaspersky does a full system scan daily.

Would it be possible for someone/ thing to spoof the same IP address, at the same time I'm using it - assuming I don't have malware? Especially, just to make spam posts on Mozillazine?

One thought - did change my email contact address on the forum recently to a GMX.com address. But their message says the spam POSTS are coming from an IP address (though it doesn't list the address).

Thanks.

2. noway

noway Registered Member

Was that your ip address at the time?

Does being banned from their forums really make a difference there anyway? I have enough trouble accessing them without being banned! Speaking of the devil, the server is down right now. Some bad management happening there. Not surprised they haven't e-mailed you back.

As far as your router goes, I would make sure the firmware is up to date and the password changed.

Maybe delete your mozillazine account if you can and recreate. Delete all cookies for mozillazine.org.

Not sure what else to try.

3. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Thanks, yes - as soon as got the latest ban notice, immediately looked up the IP address. Of course, there was nothing odd about it - from my end, or what I can see. What I don't know, is if someone or bots could spoof the same IP to that forum, while I was using it (or had it assigned by sbcglobal) for a good while (more than a couple days)? IOW, some one / thing is spamming mozillazine, using (spoofing) the same IP (even though they're not actually coming from that address).

If that's possible, when I try to login, mozillazine thinks I'm the one doing spamming. I really don't know. All I know is it only started a few wks ago - coincidentally after installing FX 4.

No idea what the real prob is, but if I acquire a new IP, can login to their forum immediately, so it can't JUST be prob w/ their servers (not all the time, anyway).

The PW on my router is 25 random alpha / numeric / special chars long. Using the highest encryption poss (a Linksys WRT54GL). Firmware is up to date. Can change the router PW, but doubt that's the prob. If someone was piggy backing my router, I'd probably be seeing more problems.

I never keep cookies after sessions - for any site. I could del the acct (not sure how, if can't login. Maybe change my IP again, then login. Of course, I will lose access to all my posts / subscribed topics.

What about a packet sniffer to see if anything is going to Mozillazine when I'm not logged into it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.