Get a F-Secure AV 2010 License (12 Months) For Free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zetelo, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

So far I can't seem to see the picture I sent them yesterday :rolleyes:

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

3. rickadkins

rickadkins Registered Member

Firzen-I just guessed that mine would be close to the last page since I only sent for the license last night. When did you send for yours? If it was yesterday, you're probably on page 5 or 6.

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I finally installed it and it's nice to change to a nice GUI from time to time (Twister and Avast 4 aren't exactly the best in that sector).

It also seems to eat a reasonably low amount of CPU, but 10 running processes? o_O (I have disabled Deepguard so that could be n.11).

However you look at it, something that adds 10 more process to the startup, isn't exactly light. That's why people disable uneeded windows services and use Nlite/Vlite and Win7 has lesser process than Vista. They do matter even if they don't eat much CPU.

Anyway, until i get bored with it (=Avast 5 comes out), i will use it.

So, thank you Zetelo!

5. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

No problem Fuzzfas! :D I will try Twister again if the 64bit version is supported, I wonder if the new version will fill this gap for me :argh:

I found F-Secure to be very stable! I totally agree with you concerning the GUI, it looks sweet ^^ The problem is that startup is a bit more slow, and YT takes a lot of time... :/

Haven't touched avast for ages, will definitely have a look at v. 5 :D

6. Fuzzfas

Mr. Chu had told me that the new version will initially be only x32. Later they will make the x64. So, i am not keeping my hope high for an x64 version coming any time soon...

Browing my files in explorer also seems a bit more slow. Anyway... It has the advantage of the novelty, so i will use it.

Avast 5 seems definitely one to look, because seems to have a spectacularly upgraded GUI and last but not least, the new behaviour blocker module. Given that Avast is already well respected today, the addition of that could make Avast very efficient against malware. I hope they will be able to do that while keeping CPU consumption low.

7. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Hmmm...F-Secure reminds me of KAV...when i wanted to installed it,it asked me to remove Comodo fw and Threatfire....thanks for the 1 year key,but no thanks...back to Avast 5 :D

8. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Sounds nice, very interesting program indeed!
    However, just checked the prices here in Germany: 47 Euros :blink: (yes, 1 year).

I surely can't afford this app, Gdata (avast engine + bitdefender) costs around 20 euros...Avast professional is just too expensive, and using the free version isn't better than my fully registered F-Secure. :cautious:

9. Fuzzfas

You mean Avast Pro is sold at 47 euros? :eek: Well, i wouldn't pay that for sure either!

I was talking about Avast Home 5.0. I *hope* that they will include the behaviour blocker into that one too, but i don't know...

If they do, it will be a free AV to worth a testing ride. Fortunately for us home users, there is SO MUCH free offer out there, either permanently or in special offers, that one can equip his entire family's PCs with good, free AVs. Today in a blog they were giving 6 months free NOD32. I don't post it cause the whole procedure though legit is weird and probably the TOS would cut it.

10. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Dont know about anyone else but here in the States its sold for
    avast! 4 Professional Edition, 1 year USD 39.95
    Before discount or anything else. That's not to bad of a price for the pro edition.

11. Fuzzfas

I scanned my "usual" 407 samples and only 15 survived after the scan with F-Secure (set to scan all files). Pretty good.

I like the GUI more and more. The settings are very clear, logically set , very nice. If it had 2 processes instead of 10, this would have been a near perfect antivirus.

Its on demand scanning is also very slow.

But it's a nice change to have a "new" antivirus.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

anyone? Or what FW you all running with F-secure?

13. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, I installed f-secure and privatefirewall on vista premium 64bit. Doesn't seem to be any problems. Hope this helps

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

IMO since you can buy a 2yr. 3-user NIS2010 for ~$20 off eBay I consider Avast! Pro to be overpriced. :ouch:

To stay on topic I received my F-Secure license yesterday and will slap in on a backup laptop. All of the "freebies" are appreciated.

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I considered $20 for Norton overpriced but that just IMO. ;) Guess it just all depends on the product.

As for F-Secure to many other "Options" out there so the key on my end goes to waste but I'm sure Ill find someone that can find a use for it. :D

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I tried to get the license, but found that the language problem was too cumbersome. I was not able to find the links referred to.

I am using FSIS 2010 on both machines, and it is running great. Wouldn't mind to have picked the freebie for future use.
    Regards,
    Jerry

17. firzen771

well its better to compare retail prices (like $40 for avast and what like $50 or $60 for norton?)

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ignore the number of processes. the current version is light on resources. the on demand scan speed is slow because it uses multiple engines and is through.

19. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

NAV 2010 1-user 1yr. MSRP is $39.99

Pricing is almost identical. However Symantec is heavily discounted, so in the end MSRP is a moot issue.

20. firzen771

guess i was thinking of NIS.

21. rickadkins

rickadkins Registered Member

I downloaded F-Secure last night and, like someone else posted, it deleted my Comodo firewall. Anyone know if I can reinstall it safely, or should I try a different firewall? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Rick

22. Fuzzfas

I know another way where it's slow. Try copying a 2,6 GB DVD full of wallpapers,pdfs, gifs and other image files to your desktop with F-Secure active and watch the transfer speed. Then disable the realtime protection and observe the transfer speed again. Then re-enable F-Secure and so on. Everytime you re-enable F-Secure, the speed starts droping and everytime you enable it, it goes up again.

Conclusion: Where there are many files to be scanned in realtime, the 10 processes can't be ignored. They SHOW they 're there. :D

P.S.: Under "normal" circumstances, fortunately, yes, the resource usage is low. There are many AVs out there eat more CPU.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  23. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Make an .iso so FSAV only has to scan 1 file and check the performance.:p

24. Fuzzfas

Yes, that would be a workaround. Do you by any luck also know a free and good ISO extracting program? Because after a make an ISO i will have to retrieve again the single files.

Thanks

25. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I think 7zip will unpack an iso.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.