GeSWall or Sandboxie

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Long View, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

when I last tried sandboxie I found the slight delay on initial launch a bit irritating and didn't get to grips with how I would save cookie and script ( no script changes). the I was told that GeSWall was a good program.

As I hope to play with both over the week-end -any thoughts as to the pros and cons of these 2 ?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

GeSWall F.A.Q.
    Sandboxie's approach may be easier to grasp and manage, GeSWall provides better flexibility and it's very very light (no file redirection)

3. Long View

Just spent a few hours trying out Geswall, and DefenseWall. Nothing scientific but I really hated Defensewall - not at all intuative from my point of view - offering far too many choices. Even the paid for Geswall does too much ( I have no need for e-mail protection).
    So for a while at least Geswall it is. Only issue/concern is how to update CS lite and Noscripts ? looks like I will have to come out and go back to sites to update ? Is there a better way ?

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

DefenseWall choices o_O I checked my version and it is the latest 2.09. I mailed Ilya I do not have the choices, where are the choices, give me some choices please. I am not the only one not having pop-ups and lacking choices, see: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196491 Please provide me with the same release you gave Longview.

Waiting for a DW version with many choices and pop-ups. :p

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I'm also confused DW is probably the simpler of the 2. But either provide very simple to use yet effective protection

6. Long View

poor choice of words on my part. Just lack of familiarity probably. example
    of choices - run as untrusted - add to untrusted - run as trusted - add to secured - add to defense excludes.

main problem is not running either program for surfing but figuring out how to allow changes - like a new add on for FF.

need to play some more.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have to vote for Sandboxie. Proven track record, great support and very high level of protection.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Everyone loves new in security protection, i am certainly no exception. I tried GESwall before and liked the concept, it was stable also which is #1 priority for me and others, but SandboxIE IMO so far leads the way in total coverage and has custom configurable features which expand it's ability.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I believe, you mean Windows Explorer context menu items?

All is simple- run FF as trusted, apply new add-on, terminate FF and run it trusted one more time to apply the changes. Then close and run as usual. Just read help file- it is all there. Or, maybe, you want to say that Chachazz did her job on purpose?

10. Long View

Thanks - As I said my fault for not being familiar with either product.
    Don't understand what you mean by Chachazz did her job on purpose.

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I meant that the help file for the 2.xx versions is made by her and I don't want it would be a waste of her time. Please, read help file, it is made for you with love!

12. Long View

Thanks - again I apologize - if I decide to try DF again I will be sure to read the help file with love

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.