GesWall (Free): Updating Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blues7, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Okay, for all of you GesWall mavens, now that I have finally got it set up with the rules needed, when the time comes to renew license/update the software, does the old program need to be removed AND is there a way for the rules to be carried over to the newer version?

(I'd hate to have to start from scratch again.)

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

2. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi Blues

What I can remember (and my memory is fading fast), is that you have to uninstall and then re-install the new version. This wipes away your pre-defined rules, I believe. I thought I read somewhere but can seem to find it, that there is a file, possibly the geswall.dat file, which holds the rules. This file can be carried over to the new release? I'm curious also if anyone has some info on this.

thanks
    Ice

3. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Worth a try.. I am using the free version. I don't think I could use the pro with everything I got. The free works great for me..

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmm... if I am not forgetting, rules are there is geswall.dat file in Program Files> geswall folder.

You need to disable or kill geswall service to replace/ import this file. After that restart the service again.

5. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thank you, gents. I just happened to find an older discussion here where it was mentioned that saving the .dat file was the way to go.

Much appreciated. I sure would have hated to start from scratch when the time comes. :thumb:

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Correct, alternative procedure to save old rules

Copy the old GeSWall.dat from before update to a safe location (a copy out of the GeSWall dictionary). Uninstall old and re-install new. Choose NO to the option to re-boot, copy your saved GeSWall.dat file over the new one. Re-boot.

Regards Kees

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think instead of reboot, just stopping the service and then restarting the service via services.msc will do the job.

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Hi Fellas...

I just got an email reply from Brian in regard to my question about the ability to install over the old app and preserving settings. Thought you'd be interested in reading this:

~Private communication removed per the TOS~

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Well, my memory is fading fast. :ninja:
    Ice

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

LOL! No worries, Ice. It was the least I could do to help return the favor. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.