GesWall free and Pro version

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I haven't tried the latest realease version but I was wondering if it's possible to copy / re-write rules that were available in the 2.5 beta? i.e. install it take notes or copy/paste to a text file and then install the free release version and recreate rules for other apps?

2. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@q1aqza

the ONLY difference between pro and free is the fact that the pro version is tweaked by gentlesecurity's professionals to handle a crapload of software (and pro users can request apps at will and they'll be added for free). so, yes you can copy over the settings from geswall beta 2.5 into geswall free 2.5. but dont' forget you don't even need to go through that hassle, just right-click the program you want to run and select "run as isolated", problem solved.

3. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give the latest free version another look. Recently been playing with Bufferzone free and really like it but I've always had a fondness for GesWall too so I should give it another look.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have checked out the latest version and it does look interesting but I have two problems with this app.

First of all not all apps seem to work correctly, this is because GeSWall seems to be blocking all "Window Messages" (process communication), it´s nice and all but it must not break stuff. The second problem is that you can not add just any app that you like, unless if you´re a Windows security expert and know how to make rules, correct? :cautious:

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Not all apps, give an example. Also, are you using the free version or full (trial)?
    See zopzop's post: (for concrete config's, yes, in the free version you have to mess a bit, and you have to know how the apps work, what they need; i don't know what are the differences between right-click approach and having rules for the apps... maybe zopzop and aigle know)

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Report the bug in the GentleSecurity forum, they answer very quick.
    Correct :) I´ve read that a wizard is being developed for the next release.
    Running simply as "isolated" might break stuff. With rules per application, you keep the security without losing functionality.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Oh, i see. So no security holes, just possible functionality loss. Great! (sorry earlier, i meant zopzop, aigle and Lucas:D )

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

That´s the thing I don´t want to "mess a bit". And the apps that gave me problems were Maxthon and IE, as soon as I right click on a toolbar they freeze. :thumbd:

9. cet

cet Registered Member

Hi aigle,since you are using geswall I would like to ask you some questions.My security setup is nearly the same with you but instead of geswall I am using sandboxie.I only use sandboxie for msn(my kids).But after using sandboxie the sound of my PC goes off.I have to reboot in order to get its voice back.I would like to give geswall a try.I also used bufferzone before but it was heavy for my PC.
    Questions:I would like to try out the free version.Is there an easy way to configure geswall to make it start with msn(kids) I will only use geswall for msn.Or do I have to make some arrangements every time before I connect to msn.If its easy I will install it today.
    Is it safe to use geswall.I read Gizmo's letter,I am confused.According to the tests(tests are not done) it seems unsafeo_O
    I am looking forward for your advices.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi cet, GesWall is quite safe. The tests u mentioned are not configured for GesWall. I have tried many nasties on it and all were stopped. However as every system is different, u might get conflicts.
    Free version supports Browsers and mail clients.
    I don,t use MSN so I might not understand ur Q well. I u mean to use MSN kids pages on internet via GesWalled browser. If so, u can try on default setings. Simple pages sould give no problem, can,t say about games, never tried.
    Just remember onething that GW does not virtualize files n folders and they remain on ur PC even after GW sesion( though isolated and can,t damge ur system). It is main diference from Sandboxie.
    U can know only by experience.
    I use GW mainly for all my browsers.

11. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks for your quick answer.I mean instant messaging msn.(windows live messenger)Ionly want to use geswall for this.Is it easy to configure,just to open messenger with one click in geswallo_O?

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Free version doesnot automatically isolates messengers. However u can right click on messenger and opt for "Run GesWalled". There might be some loss of functionality via right click mesenger launch as in this case GW will apply default policy restrictions that are a bit tighter than pre-configured rules.

I ever tried messenger. U have to try it to know exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.