Germany In Hot Water Over No Data Retention

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dw426, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...h-ec-over-lack-of-isp-telecom-data-retention/

"The European Commission is preparing to refer Germany to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, for failing to introduce a new law that would put it in line with the European data retention directive, according to a new report from Reuters.

In 2006, the EU passed a directive in the wake of the London and Madrid terrorist attacks that compels ISPs and telecommunications companies to retain all e-mails, phone calls, and related data. These directives, while mandated from Brussels, must be written into the law of each of the 27 member states at the national level. However, since the directive, Germany, Romania, and the Czech Republic have had their national laws overturned by their courts"

While Germany is no angel when it comes to privacy, I give them credit for at least trying to figure out how to follow the law and give their citizens some privacy (unfortunately that's practically impossible).

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree. I also find it humorous that the EU wants to make a big deal of this and haul in their most economically solid country to the European Court of Justice. With the EU getting weaker by the hour, I find this pretty funny and self-defeating.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Don't they also want to devalue/Replace the Euro or have they already done that

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It's just a legal battle between the European Commission and a member state regarding an EU directive. It has nothing to do with euro, Germany being the most powerful state in EU and so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.