German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by guest, Nov 23, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

German federal office BSI publishes Telemetry analysis
    November 23, 2018
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/23/german-federal-office-bsi-publishes-telemetry-analysis/

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Interesting, but it would be even more interesting when compared with newer version of Windows 10, at least Creators Update.

3. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Recently the German computer magazine c't published an article about stopping telemetry in Windows 10 referring to above BSI publication. They confirmed the BSI findings that stopping and deactivating the DiagTrack service (display name: Connected User Experiences and Telemetry) is sufficient.

The BSI additionally recommends to set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener to 0. According to c't this is not necessary, though.

However, deactivating DiagTrack didn't survive a Windows 10 upgrade from v. 1803 to 1809. Hence, it is necessary to repeat these steps after such function updates.

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi summerheat,
    Thanks! Do you maybe know which month of c't magazine? (maybe I can still buy it in a shop if it was this month, or maybe it will be available in my language in a later version (there is also a version over here)). Thanks.

5. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Is this really that simple? I think that many other things report some other information to Microsoft servers. There are many scheduled tasks, Windows Defender also reports a lot of things. Maybe they just don't fall under definition of OS telemetry?

6. summerheat

Hi, @FanJ ! It was issue 1/2019. You can buy the relevant article here.

7. summerheat

I can't tell. You probably have to read the BSI publication from the first post in detail.

8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thank you @summerheat :thumb: !
    I'll try to go to a shop in the coming days to see whether the German issue 1/2019 is still available here or, even better and with a little bit of luck, maybe the Dutch issue 2/2019 has the translated article.
    Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.