German blogger calls Adblock Plus 'a mafia-like advertising network'

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://www.telekom-presse.at/Adblock_Plus_-_wer_verarscht_hier_eigentlich_wen.id.26246.htm

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...-gegen-Werbeblocker-AdBlock-Plus-1897152.html

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

ABP is going to end up being like Ghostery, where few trust it due to an optional feature that goes against the very nature of what the addon was created for, mark my words. However, this particular issue has been touched on so many times now by so many people that there's not much left to do but let consumers decide. I mean, I've literally seen this article in several different nations by several different people now. It is what it is, either opt out of the feature or don't use ABP.

The real problem will come when companies start paying, say, EasyList to be whitelisted, if that isn't already happening. Then you're going to run into big trust issues.

3. niki

niki Registered Member

I remember the storm it created when Wladimir Palant decided to allow certain ads to be allowed. At least the box to allow these ads can be unticked. Tried to read the German links but understood not too much of it even though I was taught 4 years of German in high school in the fifties.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Mafia? Police? Talk about sensationalism.

1. Web users just want ads blocked. Some can't even be bothered to think of the possible implications.
    2. Web owners just want ads to be present. Some goes further by pushing aggressive ads. Doesn't matter what's the experience is like for the users.
    3. Ad-blocker developer stuck in between 2 sides. Listen to 1 and users are happy but get backlash by web owners. Listen to 2 and get backlash from users. Try to find a compromise and (god forbid) self-finance your project with links to the "evil" advertising industry and you get allegations by both sides.

Politics. Idealism. Morals.

Fact is each side has its own self-interest at heart. Whether there's conflict of interest is subjective. If everyone is keen only on pointing fingers at one another, the problem isn't solved...it just gets progressively worse.

http://adblockplus.org/blog/random-thought-on-communities
    http://adblockplus.org/blog/introducing-eyeo-gmbh-the-company-behind-adblock-plus
    http://adblockplus.org/blog/the-monetization-dilemma

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

And then there's that^ Not a bad point, Safeguy.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This is the real issue here. Nobody seems to have anything against Ghostery which sends data about you to an advertising company, but Ghostery is doing it since day one. Adblock on the other side, wanted to be seen as the champion against ads, but switched sides at a later time. In doing this, they lost the trust of a part of their users, and that lead to discontent from them.
    Note that both tools have an opt-out mechanism, so user choice doesn't seem to be a problem here.

Concepts I strongly believe in, nothing wrong with them.

PS: I am an Adblock Plus user, with "accepted ads" set to "disabled". :)

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I don't see a problem here. They have an opt out option that I click each time. I honestly don't mind the creator of ABP making some money out of this. He deserves it.

8. ance

ance formerly: fmon

+1 :thumb:

9. Nebulus

From an usability point of view, I don't see a problem either (as I said, I'm already using Adblock Plus). But I was trying to explain how easy it is to lose the user's trust if you side with what is perceived as "the enemy".

10. mattdocs12345

True. Trust is the most important component in security software. However the guy is not selling our data. He is just enabling some ads to pass his protection. There is also an option to disable all of the above. To me this is sort of like CCleaner offering Google Chrome installation during the set up. Yes, it's annoying but not a breach of the trust or our privacy.
    And i honestly feel like this is an okay way for the developer to make money and make the extension even better.

11. Nebulus

From here:
    http://www.h-online.com/newsticker/news/item/Serious-accusations-against-AdBlock-Plus-1897360.html

So let me get this straight: the guy calls Adblock Plus 'a mafia-like advertising network' just because they didn't let him on the white list?

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Does ABP clearly highlight which adverts it is letting through specifically because they are paid to allow them through ?

Search engines are required by law to separate and clearly label sponsored results from organic results and ABP could face legal action if they do not follow a similar practice (FTC calls them deceptive practices which are unlawful by definition).

Having run an advertising supported website before, I understand the need for adverts, but there is a big differences between sensible and annoying adverts. I don't block adverts, I just don't visit sites that annoy me more than once.

And this is quite old news I thought I remembered it from back in Feb:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/adblock-plus-accused-of-shaking-down-websites/

Cheers, Nick

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  13. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I suspect that was meant to refer to Eyeo GmbH/AdblockPlus wanting some kind of financial "contribution" for being whitelisted. As in a mafia-like "we'll cause problems for you, we'll make those problems go away if you pay us" protection racket. I find it difficult to interpret the translated German articles, but if you check out that link NGRhodes posted you'll find this claim:
    and also a quote from Till Faida which seems to confirm the idea that a financial "contribution" is expected at least in the case of "larger" sites:
    Requiring companies to do more than advertise respectfully... requiring or pressuring, even just some, that they advertise respectfully *and* make some kind of financial "contribution" is crossing an important line.

Not that the Eyeo GmbH/AdblockPlus "acceptable ads" requirements should be considered the benchmark for respectful advertising mind you.

14. guest

guest Guest

How about Adblock Edgeo_O?

15. mattdocs12345

Last time i checked Obama appointed AT&T lawyers into FTC. I have no respect to whatever those guys are saying. If people don't like using ABP they are not forced to use it. There are plenty of alternatives out there (The cow filter... forget the name, ABE, Ad-Fender... etc...).

16. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ABP works fine for me. I can opt out of that option. I'm gonna continue using it. :)

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://news.techeye.net/business/adblock-denies-ad-fixing-allegations

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I would agree that Google is playing both sides, but I'm not at all surprised they would, seeing as how they are an advertising company and have been for years now. Had Palant been smart, he would have forced them to lift the ban on ABP in the Play store before allowing them to pay up to let their ads slide. He still should, after all, with their ads unhindered, he's now abiding by their TOS. ABP has made the switch over to corporate entity, so no one should be shocked that Palant and company see things much differently than when ABP was young.

21. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

23. siljaline

I would disagree with that statement of what I know of the software.
    This will shake out over the next few day or so. If you've got a quote from somewhere that Google ads are acceptable, let's read it.

24. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Most Google ads are text-based though, so I don't understand the complaint?

25. siljaline

What I said (all due) was not a complaint but a request for you to provide where you obtained your information regarding the allowed ads in ABP.
    See Google AdSense Google AdWords HTTP Cookie Cookie behaviour in IE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.