Genie Backup Manger & Shadow Protect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by info, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. info

info Registered Member

Recently, being influenced by PC Magazine's Editor's Choice of Genie Backup Manager Pro 8 in the file and folder backup category, I purchased the program becuase the writer of the review and others stressed it's power and ease of use. I also was very interested in Shadow Protect which also received the Editor's Choice in the backup imaging software category; but, I was a bit nervous about imaging software, which I have no experience with, and was concerned that this lack of experience might result in my hosing my entire system. At the moment, Genie seems to be running quite well on Vista Home Premium for me, although I am not at all the expert at backup software and have not used it extensively yet. I can say that I have not experienced any of the crashes that were described in one of the few lengthy and very helpful reviews I found on Wilder's Security Forum. However, I have not yet tested all of the problem areas that were mentioned either.

My question here is: since this is not an imaging type program, does anyone see potential problems or conflicts if I also install Shadow Protect on my system (alongside Genie Backup Manager) and use it concurrently? Does anyone have both of these running on a Vista system without problems? I have read and benefitted from many of the posts here warning of problems with Acronis True Image which would have been my first choice because of the support it enjoys on this forum (as compared to the almost non-existent support Genie has, and the little support Shadow Protect has), but I refrained from installing it feeling that it might almost certainly conflict with Shadow Protect when and if I decide to try it out.

Backup software has always been a complicated area for me. Thanks for any help or comments.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

There should not be a problem if you use shadowprotect manually to image your disk,as it doesnt run until you open it.If you use incremental backups then i guess its running all the time and possibly may conflict with another incremental back up program such as genie (though i dont know that for sure).I havent used genie so cant comment ,however shadow protect is the best purchase i ever made.I just backup my whole pc to an external drive.Shadow protect support has always answered me ,whenever ive posted ,and also theres some experts on using it here.Im not an expert by any means but i am comfortable using shadowprotect.It is one of my most trusted programes and has never let me down.
    ellison

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Genie Backup copies data for backups,whilst SP images it.

Both have different methods of achieving their different purpose.

Use SP for fast system backups of a complete partition and Genie only for backing up data,files music etc.,in between doing a full backup with SP.

There were no compatibility problems when I briefly tested it.

4. info

info Registered Member

Thanks Ellison and Harry for your input. I keep hearing such good things about Shadow Protect that I really hope that I can successfully put together the combination in the way that Harry described. Although it may be overkill for me, it was with that combination in mind that I embarked on this course. I can see why the PC Magazine reviewer was so impressed with Genie, but it is a shame that they do not seem to be putting in more energy into polishing the few rough edges that remain on such a well crafted program. At any rate, I really want to incorporate imaging software into my security setup, so I've downloaded the trial of Shadow Protect and am in the process of taking a deep breath before I install it. I hate to feel alone in this area and am somewhat jealous of the support that Acronis True Image users receive on this forum. :) I don't think it will take them that long to pull things together on their side either - it's all a matter of timing.

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  6. info

info Registered Member

7. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Its really simple once youve carried out a few runs.

Then you can progress to incremental backups if you wish,even on an almost continuous basis in the background without noticing it.

This would make Genie a bit unecessary really,except as a fall back feature,as data etc can be accessed through the SP "explore image" feature.

If Genie has a setting for carrying out continuous backups in the background,suggest this is set-manual backups dont then have to be made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.